Rear v-brake binding slightly

Scougar

Retrobike Rider
I've got a Scott Sportster P3 2008 model that I've just purchased second hand. The rear v-brake is binding slightly on one side so the wheel is not free turning. If I use the adjuster screw on that v-brake itself, the brake block just goes towards the tyre, rather than away from the metal rim.

How can I adjust it (either via the brake or brake lever) so the block comes further away from the rim?

Notes: The wheel does not seem buckled as it's uniform braking effect, and looking whilst spinning it doesn't seem to need any 'trueing'. The other brake block is fine it seems. If I pull the v-brake mech slightly to free up the block the opposite block does not come in contact with the rim until I pull it further. If I open the quick release for that wheel, then it hardly binds at all, shutting the QR again causes the block/rim to bind slightly again.

when u have screwed the adjuster screw give the lever a squeeze and the caliper should spring back away from rim. If that isnt working then the spring may be buggered, you can take the caliper off and set the spring tensioner in the top hole but it will decrease the life of the spring

Thanks guys, I'll take a look with both idea's. (I'm not familiar with bike mech only car's, but sure I will work it out :) )

Played a little bit with the adjustment screws either side, and got it so it is only touching occasionally now. Needs looking at or the v-brake replacing (or just the springs), but working now. At least I won't be getting parasitic drag anymore!

Does make me want to go disk lol. Getting decent 2nd hand v-brakes would be cheaper though :)

Is the wheel true? Also make sure the brake blocks haven't got a lip worn on to them. if the block misses the rim slightly it will wear with a step in it. This will then cause the brake to bind when testing on a work stand.

I did check and the wheel appeared to be reasonably true (looking at the rim with it spinning).

I didn't check for a lip, and the brake block could be better aligned I suppose. Will take them off check for a lip, and retry fitment and alignment of the pads.

Thanks for that :)

Back