1998 Specialized rockhopper comp fs

winkyjim

Retro Newbie
Hello all

I have recently got my hands on a 98 spechy rockhopper comp fs, its got a ritchey nitanium frame and is in mint condition (the bloke I bought it from was pretty fat and so I deduced that it hadn't been out of the garage much)

I know nothing about this bike, can anyone tell me is it any good? is it worth tarting up a bit? (I was thinking some maxxis holy roller tyres and a good clean for starters) ?

Can anyone tell me about 'nitanium'? :?

Yeah 1998 I think was the last nitanium steel frame they did. If it is the oneI am picturing, then it is a very nice frame.

Is it light blue in colour? With indy c's?

winkyjim":2cn7my82 said:
Hello all

Can anyone tell me about 'nitanium'? :?

Nitanium is a special hybrid non-heat-treated form of Chromoly steel that contains trace elements of Titanium and Niobium

Its a silver one with manitou answer pro forks and deore xt gears, seems pretty good for an older bike, its an FS comp

Underrated classics in my opinion. Nicely put together, and well worth upgrading. Not the lightest frames, but the kind of bike you could ride around the world on. I own two.

The one real annoyance is the unusual 30.4mm seatpost.

I loved mine and only sold it as I needed to thin the fleet... it was last in and first out! Great ride quality, steering etc, very stable and comfy, ideal 26" wheel tourer:

33408_449120081170_586536170_6504246_6920732_n.jpg

Back