I drive what is it

sylus

Old School Grand Master
When things are slow I go looking..not to be an expert but to open my eyes up to all thats in here

Today I found a post that had a gt idrive

apart from a massive crank and an odd looking frame I couldn't see many differences.

Has anyone an idrive, why are they different and what's your feelings on them

still learning :?

i had an early 2000ish model,loved it,no pedal feedback at all,smooth suspension motion and looked good. the actual id rive set up if quite simple when you play with it and spares are still available if owt goes wrong.

enjoy it and post some pics :D

I used to have an i-drive (I-Drive 5.0 I think it was) around 2003/4 I think it was.
I thought the I-drive system was supposed to be like the "Holy Grail" of full-sus MTB design, virtually no pedal bob or feedback whilst keeping quite an active rear end.
I liked it, the system itself was pretty simple but worked well (like most great inventions), only the bike itslef was a little heavy and the components not great, so I sold it for something different.

I don't know how many of the I-drives were sold, but I very rarely see any about on the trails??

basically the idea is that the pedaling force doesn't activate the suspension like it can do on other designs, frankly i think it was ahead of it's time. struggle to get spares now though :(

jonnyboy666":2z2ghjjm said:
basically the idea is that the pedaling force doesn't activate the suspension like it can do on other designs, frankly i think it was ahead of it's time. struggle to get spares now though :(

Awww right.. so the downward push on the pedals is absorbed by the idrive system so the extra effort than would normally see the rear suspension down..is eliminated..simmilar to a cush drive on a motorcycle

Cheers..another thing learnt

eerm no not really

but sorta

it was/is a utr system but without the urt disadvantages in that it works
seated or standing (urt's only work standing)
as stared well ahead of its time and still going in a slightly neater form
today
the old ones benefit from an air shock fox etc they can be built light ish
23/4 lbs and they make great s/s bikes

my lbs had the very first ones on demo bitd (the every trail faster campaign) and they were a lot better than the previous lts's
however we killed the i-drive bearings in about 2 weeks
these were replaced with revised parts and gave no more trouble
there's a few variations of these frames and a variation in weight too
look for a later marathon frameset (flouro green or black/silver )
they seem the best , but not much wrong with the others really

there was a site on tinternet with loads of info in these , canadian it think
i'll see if i can find it and post the link

I test rode one on demo when they came out and though it was cack.

sylus":3f2mtwbl said:
jonnyboy666":3f2mtwbl said:

Awww right.. so the downward push on the pedals is absorbed by the idrive system so the extra effort than would normally see the rear suspension down..is eliminated..simmilar to a cush drive on a motorcycle

Cheers..another thing learnt

sort of, the bottom bracket assembly is independent of the rear triangle and the main triangle which means it is isolated from both but linked to them. the benefit is quite active suspension that should remain constant in it's movement whether sitting or standing and the other benefit is that the effective seatpost height doesn't change because of the eccentric effect from the i drive unit itself.

i always found they needed slightly more air pressure than quoted though which does make sense as i was later told by Mike Newton (ex caratti sport employee and former nat champ i believe) that they fitted the 'set up' sticker in the wrong place!

i think they worked best (like most suspension designs) sat down and spinning

@john, bit harsh that isn't it? i thought they were pretty good, certainly better than previous gt designs and lasted better than LTS's, my 98 lts2000, the rear end died in several ways!

what was wrong with it john ?

you do need to set them up for you i find
and +1 on more air pressure

Back