Bleed kits

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Im used to the method of bleeding where you use the lever to pump the fluid through ,exiting through a long tube and into a pot.
Works fine but apparently not the best way or quickest way to do it.The specific bleed kits force the fluid through and expelling air out.I'd like to give this a try to see if it works better for me but the usual cost of these things is about twenty five odd quid.£25 For a syringe, a couple of tubes and a plastic bottle seems a wee bit over priced to me :?

Then i spotted this on ebay and wondered what you all thought about it :?
Better price thats for sure :D

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/dangouldcommencal/m.html

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
A guy who I work with employs a similar method fr bleeding his Hopes, i.e. using a big syringe and forcing fluid up from the bleed nipple through to the master cylinder. He reckon it is a lot quicker and less hit and miss. His wife gets the syringes from work so even cheaper.

I got a load of 4mm Aquarium tubing off the bay the other week for next to nothing for 2 metres.

I've been using the back bleeding method for several years now. All you need is a big plastic syringe and a bit of soft flexible plastic tubing as already stated.

Forcing the new fluid in through the bleed nipple at the caliper end is a much quicker and much more effective than patiently pouring in a bit of fluid at the master cylinder, pulling in the lever, opening the bleed nipple, closing the bleed nipple, repeat, repeat, etc, etc.

It does generally require a bit more brake fluid, and can get a bit messy if you get a bit heavy handed with the syringe.

Seen a few homemade bleed kits made out of a plastic syringe and some aquarium tubing. They work well apparently. Might have a go myself as I'm doing the lever pumping method as well. I'm buggered if I'm going to pay Avid £30 for £2 worth of tubing and syringes and little bottle of brake fluid.

1262703040331-nh9zbd4gwfx2-500-90-500-70.jpg

based in this pic is how i bleed my brakes

that bottle i hold up so the fluid flows down
before inserting i squeeze it so it 'sucks' air out
oil flow in
not ideal for replacing the fluid but simple for bleeds
let me know if it doesnt make sense

I managed to find connectors to fit Avid Juicy:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/fephydraulics/ ... =238154892

shove a small o-ring on them, fit and seal perfectly...........couple of horse syringes from t'local vets, and some tubing, sorted!

I'm going to see if I can find some aquarium connectors to fit Formula levers (reservoir screw is in line with piston, rather than perpendicular like Avids).

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
BertR00t":72sihnsn said:
A guy who I work with employs a similar method fr bleeding his Hopes, i.e. using a big syringe and forcing fluid up from the bleed nipple through to the master cylinder. He reckon it is a lot quicker and less hit and miss. His wife gets the syringes from work so even cheaper.

I got a load of 4mm Aquarium tubing off the bay the other week for next to nothing for 2 metres.

As above, 150mm surringe from the vets about £2 and 5mm clear washer hose £1.20 a metre.
I force the fluid up through the nipple, started doing it ages ago on motorbikes works just as well on Hopes :D

Lysander":2r5p5ksf said:
I managed to find connectors to fit Avid Juicy:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/fephydraulics/ ... =238154892

shove a small o-ring on them, fit and seal perfectly...........couple of horse syringes from t'local vets, and some tubing, sorted!

I'm going to see if I can find some aquarium connectors to fit Formula levers (reservoir screw is in line with piston, rather than perpendicular like Avids).

Would these fit Elixirs as well then? Don't see why they wouldn't but best to ask innit.

Latest posts

Back