C2C Diet recomendations ?

walshy69

Dirt Disciple
Alreet Folks,

have the C2C Whitehaven to Tynemouth coming up in April, thought I'd better start looking at good foods to take, will be camping so looking to make the most of my pannier space. Will obviously buy on route when possible but need basic supplies I can carry to get me thru to the next shop. Will load up on pasta when cooking lunch and tea,was thinking of the following as good foods to take:
Breakfast: Banana plus oats (either porridge or bars)
Malt loaf, fig rolls and dried apricots for eating while riding
Jelly Beans for quick fix or end of day replenishment
Dioralyte to top up minerals during/end of day
Sound alright or any better ideas ?

many thanks

Malt loaf, fig rolls and dried apricots? You're sure not going to need a laxative! :shock:

Re-hydration salts are actually a much better alternative to sports drinks, well done you. As for the rest of it, you need to load up on carb's and keep the protein down - hence the pasta (rice is good too) but go easy on the sauce or you'll just pile on the calories. When you need a sugar boost take plain flapjack as it's small, nourishing and filling without bulk.

Can't go wrong with bananas but always eat them before anything else you intake or they'll lay in your stomach and ferment before they digest - and you don't want that!

In a nutshell Google 'endurance diet/eating' and avoid branded so-called 'sports' products... :cool:

We_are_Stevo":3s96b0zp said:
Re-hydration salts are actually a much better alternative to sports drinks, well done you.

Why? Interested to know what this is based on.

The way I see it... Dioralyte, for example, has to be used within an hour of mixing and only in a 200ml dose, this effectively means that it can only be taken at the end of the day or at convinient stopping points each day where fresh water is available in 200ml measures. You're basically running down your bodies reserves during the day and hoping that you'll do enough to top them up in the evening or whenever you get a chance to sit down and mix up a 200ml drink. The cost? £3 per litre!

Something like a High5 Zero tablet can be popped into the days waterbottles so you'll be topping up your 'salts' as you ride. They make a neutral one with no taste, so you can pop it into whatever drink you like.
Its cheaper too. £6 gets you 15 litres worth of High5, thats just 40p per litre.

Is this the railway path/minor roads route? How long are you planning to take? 'cos if you're taking it fairly steadily you might be over-thinking things. Decent breakfast, stop at a cafe or pub for lunch (don't have anything too heavy ;) ), nice big bowl of pasta or rice in the evening, repeat. Carry whatever ride snacks you usually like. If you were doing it in a day then you might want to look at energy drinks and stuff ;)

Russell":30radekk said:
Why? Interested to know what this is based on.

All you need drink during the ride is fresh water straight out of the tap (bottled mineral if you prefer) then take rehydration salts in the evening to re-balance your system and prevent headaches.

Branded 'sports' products are loaded with stuff your body just does not need (including various sugars you definately can do without - fruit sugars are just as un-necessary as refined sugars...) and you will simply pee it out because your body will not absorb it. Have you never noticed if you take any vitamin/mineral supplement it will turn your urine bright yellow and give it a distinct odour? That's your system passing all the extra stuff it doesn't need. You would have to have a very poor diet indeed not to get everything your body needs from the everyday food you eat...

Incidentally, I never suffer from jetlag either as I drink rehydration salts during and after the flight to counter the effect of the planes super-efficient air conditioning - nothing to do with time zones etc... Pure bunkum! :roll:

I practically lived in the gym for years and I've worked in advertising and marketing so you'll have to pardon me if I come across as a little cynical... :LOL:

did this ride last year and just had a decent breakfast, sarnie at dinner and a normal evening meal. also just filled the camelbak up with tap water..... one thing i wouldnt do again however is have 7 pints of san miguel in the rookhope inn, the next day was awful!!!! :LOL:

Couple of beers the night before. Kippers for breakfast washed down with hot sweet tea. Water and sweeties for the trip. You'll be fine.

Just remember (and this is most important) - NO SEX FOR SIX WEEKS (longer if possible) leading up to the event........

:!:

Mr Panda":351hmok7 said:
Just remember (and this is most important) - NO SEX FOR SIX WEEKS (longer if possible) leading up to the event........

Why? Surely it would be good to get your 'luggage' as light as possible? :LOL:

Back