Air shocks.

jimo746

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Is there an issue with running an air shock upside down?

reason I'm asking is because I'm after a new shock for a set of Girvin Crosslink forks which originally came with a Noleen NR-2 shock (coil/oil), approx 200mm eye-to-eye.
A replacement Noleen or Risse shock is quite expensive so I've been toying with the idea of fitting somethin aftermarket instead.
The unusual design of the Girvin forks means that the shock needs to be quite narrow at one end, most of the coil shocks won't fit as they are too wide for much of the shock body, but an air shock if fitted upside down should fit.
I'd be using a Lizard Skins shock cover to keep the crud out, but was wondering if I would have any problems running the shock like that?

btw I've been looking at the Manitou Radium, Swinger Air, Fox Float etc...

There are no issues with fitting an air shock upside down, some bike manufacturers use that orientation as normal to get the shock to fit into their frames.

Fox Float RP23 is pretty much the daddy of all 'affordable' shocks, RP2 is also very good

So long as you have room for the adjusters and valve there should be no issues if the shock physically fits into the fork

Yay!! :D that's what I wanted to hear :D

My only issue may be how close to the eyelet the shock body moves under full compression, think I'd best take the old shock and/or forks with me when I go looking for a replacement shock.

26749.jpg

so on the shock above, it says it is 50mm stroke, so would that mean the shock body will move almost to the eyelet under full compression? or is there usually a bit of standoff? (can you tell I'm a suspension numpty? :LOL: )

Also looking at the Manitou Metel coil shocks, which may fit. Hmm.. some trial fitting is needed I think :)

the shocks body will move almost to the end of the stanchion (goldy bit)
same with any shock
50mm stroke is the amount of movement to get it to full compression i think

if you run it upside down it will contact the parallelogram.
You need a 165mm small air shock - old float ideally, narrow bit to the bottom with n adaptor on the top.
Right fiddly bastard of a job!

lawson":u6es0lke said:
if you run it upside down it will contact the parallelogram.
You need a 165mm small air shock - old float ideally, narrow bit to the bottom with n adaptor on the top.
Right fiddly bastard of a job!

hmmm... there isn't much room for manouvre around the top mounting bolt for the shock on the Crosslinks, around the lower mount there is plenty of space though. The linkage hitting the shock body is my main concern, hence I've ruled out coil/air shocks as there's not enough room from what I can see. But the linkages and shock should all move in unison, so if the shock fits happily when the bike is stationary then it should be fine when compressed by a bump, no?
I measured the eye-to-eye length of my Noleen NR2 on the Crosslinks at approx 205mm. When you say you need an adapter making up, and to use a 165mm shock, what do you mean? any pics of one fitted?

Back