new Hope headsets? and Cane Creek S1?

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hiya, just looking for a few comments on these, gonna be getting a new project and want one of these squeezed in with the supplier as I don't have my own headset press and don't wanna be using hammers/vices this time! :D
Hope@£65
S1@£27.50
(free fit)
Sounds like Hope machine the cups from 2014 alloy but use standardish CaneCreek/FSA bearings.
so mostly a saving of weight benefit and reports of them being buttery smooth... plus I wanna try Head Doctor out.

Hope worth the money? and S1 even decent? I've got an S8 I fitted myself on my current bike and its been pretty good so far but double RRP of the S1 even though I got a great half price deal on it!

cheers

hope ones are spangly but i think lack some oomph in design (but they do look good, contradictory i know! :LOL: )

you can use a hed doctor with any headset or is it that they come with the headset?

im using my gub one at the moment which is mint, id recommend them but then youd need to pay for it to get fitted but then your still only looking at £30 (bought AND fitted :cool: )

can linky if you like

the one i have at the moment is essentially the same as the kcnc radiant, for 1/4 of the price :shock: :cool: :cool: :D

edit: s8 is £26 on fatbirds

Thanks, purely academic now as I've ordered a Hope anyway! :D

Last decent new bike I'm buying for a while so want it nice, and British while we still have an economy!

good choice :)
my mountaincycle is a bit like a hope showcase
i hope they make the cranks in red when they go into production :)

Yeah I'll be letting the side down on brakes as the Diatechs will be moving over onto the new rig! :D Meanwhile vintage midskool Hope stuff go onto me beater!

I think I was only asking cos the new design is different to the classic Hope headsets I believe so was just checking quality was still there, sounds good the bearings and races are easily swappable with main brand stuff even if its not exotic! :D

Back