1999-2004 frankenstein DH

tedoldfield

Retro Newbie
Firstly, hello everyone, i have followed the site for a while but this will be my proberbial post cherry.

I am currently sourcing all kinds of parts for a bit of a frankenstein DH bike, hopefully an amalgamation of iconic parts fitting within 1999-2004.

Current setup is as follows:

*1999 Giant ATX1 Team DH (Giant/Toyota era, even had the toyota decals on for a while)
*1999 TF Tuned Pro Deluxe (number3, they just break)
*2001 Monster T's (+3 inch plate)
*AC chain guide
*2002 Magura Julie's (issue 1)
*2001 Tioga seat (black+white stripe, the name escapes me)
*Cranks are sadly 2004 raceface, but the driver is still a brute.

Spares for fitment:

*2004 Manitou Dorado's (currently benching for the monsters, but i plan to run them as ther are for me an icon.)
*2001 M4's (Hope had arrived)

Things i could do with a hand sourcing:

*Goldtec/Betd atx1 long travel plates (8in)
*2004 Manitou Dorado decals (red)
*2004 Manitou Dorado stanchion protectors.
*Any info on anyone trying to convert an mrp device to fit an atx that dosn't involve cutting the frame.
*A decent set of boxxer 151's maybe....

Any help would be ace, likewise i'm happy to help in anyway i can anyone else.

Cheers everyone

pop goes your cherry :LOL:

welcome

id assume maybe the betd site will have the plates? if not im sure they could make them (at cost!!)

as for the chain device fitting, a few on here know the atx's well but maybe take a pic of what your trying to do?

username gil_m is your man for repro decals not sure on originals, keeo trying ebay? :?

Cheers for the post cyfa,

Yeah BETD have oficially stopped making the plates+ with the high number of rear triangle fails on this frame, largely due to the appauling deluxe shock i was hoping there was a half frame kicking around somewhere.

As for the decals, i'll be getting in contact with gil_m soon. Ebay.us had a set of the 2005 blue decals go a while back, but the 04 red ones seem a little harder to get hold of, TFtuned were out of ideas, however exceptionally helpful guys. They have been the source for lots of the old internals i have been chasing. I'm asuming the lack of replacement leg guards and decals are due to the dorado setup, "oops cracked annother guard.... buy a full decal set" and repeat. I'm trying to stay away from 09 replacement parts which seem to be the only parts in abundence.

I do have annother avenue open to me at the moment too, i could design and fabricate my own rear plates.

Anyone had anything waterjet cut recently?

ooo doing your own sounds good
just have to keep an eye on ebay and pinkbike etc. for the frames as they do come up (buses, two at once....)
i thought it was normally the front triangle that cracked? near the bb?

there was white (repainted) frame on here recently and it may be worth putting up a wanted ad

if its the aesthetics your after then id say go with the 09 internals (if thats what they are)
only you will know and chances are you will have a better riding fork

i reckon if your doing your own though, maybe design them on solidworks or similar so you can virtually test them to be on the safe side. mayeb a bit more work and possibly more money (depending on who you know) but worth it in the long run
also, maybe put in a few gussets where it is likely to crack?

Wanna swap your dorado's for some mint 2002 monster's or 2004 monster's both mint and fully serviced. :D

Any pics of your parts buddy?
Also recently tf tuned had a load of dorado parts on ebay including the bits you are after.

Again, thanks for all the help!

cyfa, yeah, there were lots of trouble in the front triangle, but up where i have been riding mostly (north wales) i've heard and seen them cracked at the rear endby the drop outs, we reckon it's due to all that travel and weight, coupled with the geometry and a QR back end. Hence why a 12mm bolt through conversion is also on the cards.

If i do get any issues with the internals i will upgrade them to newer 09's i think yeah, but for now they are perfectly plush :). I'm looking at making my own rear plates at the moment, all seems pretty reasonable, and yeah cyfa, CAD is the only way it'll be happening.

ramstein, i'll be getting some pics up pretty soon, just sourced an upgrade rear shock for it away from the deluxe but hopefully more reliable,3 fails is a bit telling. Yeah i've been in contact with TF about the parts recently, and have picked up some of those parts that were on ebay, however the stancion protectors and 04 decals are rarer than unicorns at the moment, and that is anywhere.

If i do decide to move the Dorado's on i will get in contact Ramstein, but for now, i have a set of mint 2001 monsters on it and hopefully changing to the dorado's asap, but you never know i do love those monsters!

Cheers for all the help and advice guys!

5409942403_cb6ac89963.jpg

nice :cool:
classic

why not stick with the ac chain device?

just got myself one of these frames
after a chain guide myself, if you get anther would be interested in yours.

See you mention quite a few faults with the frame, im not gonna be using it for anything but going to work tbh do you think im gonna encounter any probs

dirtydozen":3oqgvoww said:
just got myself one of these frames
after a chain guide myself, if you get anther would be interested in yours.

See you mention quite a few faults with the frame, im not gonna be using it for anything but going to work tbh do you think im gonna encounter any probs

no you should be fine for that, most of the time they cracked under heavy dh usage which is understandable as alot of them took some abuse! but thats what its meant for
they do have common failure points when heavily used

make sure you check the frame properly for cracks ;)
someone else will be able to point out common falure places
there was an ac guide on here recently
just have to keep your eyes peeled either for the guides or for a broken frame with the guide

Back