Single Speed Full Suspension - Cool or Fool?

woody9

Dirt Disciple
I'm just in the process of rebuilding a Cannondale Super V, I was feathering with idea of making it single speed.

Is it just me who thinks this would be cool?

Has any one else got single speed full suspension bike? If so what gearing would you recommend?

Unless the bike has a URT design or a BB mounted pivot you may get chain growth with single speed on a full susser, I'm not sure a normal single speed chain tensioner would be able to deal with chain growth on a full susser.

Generally on a 26" wheel you would start with a 2:1 ratio (32t chainring 16t cog) and fine tune it from there to suit your fitness & the terrain you ride

Single speeding also means you have to come up out of the saddle more on the climbs.

Which means greater probability of bob.

Sorry - seems like a silly idea to me. But I'm sure someone else has tried it and thinks it is wonderful.

Mmmmmmmmmmm

I'm in the process of building a full sus singlespeed. Based on a Klein Mantra

watch this space

I tinkered with the idea, and would have used a Rohloff tensioner and a frame with a propedal shock.
Then I woke up and realised what I really wanted was a steel hard tail. :p

I was going to build up a GT XCR2000 as a single speed. Had it nearly finished but when I eventually got round to fitting an a2z disc adaptor, it didn't fit. I scrapped the idea after that. It was pretty light though :D
I used (going to use) a spring-loaded tensioner as in the pic.

gt_xcr2000_aa_107.jpg

Go for it!
Some may have thought it was a daft idea to single-speed a 24 geared mountain bike BITD, but look how popular it is now... ;)

I planned to single-speed my Yeti Lawwill for something different but ended up selling it instead. Hmmm... I've got a 7" travel Intense Uzzi frame doing nothing in the loft.... :LOL:

Back