Inner tube recommendations please

Bullpup

Senior Retro Guru
Is an inner tube just an inner tube or are some makes better than others?

The tubes are for 26" wheels with 2.1 tyres and I am no lightweight if that makes a difference.

Any recommendations please?

Many thanks

I think they're pretty much of a muchness, can't think of a brand of inner tubes that I wouldn't bother with (although those ones pre-filled with Slime seemed like a waste of time). I'm liking Continentals right now, but probably because CRC always seem to have the Presta valves in stock.

One thing, since weight weenie-ing, I've noticed big weight differences in some of my tubes - 265g for some no-name tube versus 87g for those Maxxis Fly Weights. I've got to say, based on a couple of XC rides with the Fly Weights, they are a lot tougher than you might think - no punctures, and it's not like I'm one of these guys that float over the terrain... I'm not exactly a lightweight either (13.5 stone).

Strange you should say that about the slime filled one's i had two bought me 12 mounths ago. which i fitted straight away for a trip to wales. i ride the bike at least three times a week doing cross country trail and urban...i used to call those things bike riding at one time, any way i have never had a problem with them, never had a puncture and i must have changed tyres at least 5 times. seem ok to me although a wieght weenie would say heavy....

If you're running nice tyres then it's a shame not to run some nice tubes too. GEAX platinums are quite nice. Otherwise Michelin Latex.

Thanks for the advice in the end I went with unboxed Kendas from the LBS.

Intrigued that the slime ones aren't more popularas I use it in all my Garden machinery and quad bike tyres.

Back