Spooky Bikes custom FTW steel! UPDATED! PICS! METAL HEAD!

AtomicAtom

Retro Guru
5514651903_0719b1251e_b.jpg

(WAY MORE PHOTOS ON PAGE 2)

I approached Mickey from Spooky Bikes about doing a custom 29er commuter bike. I am a big supporter of Spooky and have gotten to know Mickey since he resurrected the company in 2007. I was ecstatic to find out that Frank The Welder has started working with them again! He did a lot of the welding on the jump bikes and DH rigs bitd. After talking with Mickey about the custom bike he decided he was going to show it at the North American Handmade Bike Show (NAHBS) in Austin, Texas this year.

I decided I wanted a versatile new bike, but something I've never had before. Spooky isn't known for making 29 inch wheeled mountain bikes and I have never ridden one. We talked and it came together as a single speed steel framed bike with clearance for 2" mtb tires but the geometry more like a bmx bike, or the Metal Head of old. I tried commuting on the Metal Head for a while but found it impossible to do for a long time. Why not make a large wheeled MH that I can just ride off the street on to the trail? It was capped off with a set of Columbus Max tubing that he has been wanting to use for a while. Currently the front end is at FTW's shop in Vermont getting worked on while some of the smaller bits are out for CNCing.

Although this is a UK/EU forum primarily I think you can all appreciate the ideals behind Spooky. They work hard to source all materials locally, and work with the best local artists/manufacturers. ALso, they want to get out there and ride some bikes hard and have a ton of fun doing it. Bringing FTW back to make custom bikes again is something I think a lot of us here at Retrobike who appreciate his place in our culture can really get behind. Maybe he will start to make some kick ass production bikes in the near future too?

I will post more info on the bike as it get built for those who are interested. NAHBS is coming up at the end of February and I will be there to photograph it and support Spooky.

Very definitely registering an interest...

Love Spooky frames, looking forward to seeing this progress :D

sounds like a great project :D
Please keep us updated..... and as FTW is a forum member on here, please some production/welding pics :cool: :D

I'm following Adam's tread marks with a custom steel FTW/Spooky frame, looking forward to Adam's build thread, I'll do one as well when the frame lands.

There's plenty to come from Spooky and FTW so if you're after anything why not drop Mickey an email?

Here is the projected parts set up for now. All subject to drastic change. It's a Metal Head blue and silver color scheme with everything Paul we can get our hands on.

Frame: 2011 custom Spooky FTW Columbus MAX steel 29er in Metal Head blue

Fork: Steel rigid (undetermined, Vicious maybe?) painted to match frame

Headset: Internal
Stem: Thomson silver
Handlebar: Funn alu painted to match frame
Grips: rubber

Brakes: Paul Motolites or cantis silver
Brake Levers: Paul love levers silver

Freewheel: White Industries
Chain: metal
Cranks: Paul mountain cranks silver
Chainrings: Paul silver
Bottom Bracket: ISO Phil Wood?
Pedals: flat

Rims: NoTubes ZTR 355 silver or frame color
Hubs: Paul WORD and FHUB silver
Nipples: silver
Spokes: silver
Tyres: Bontrager XR1

Saddle:?
Seatpost: Thomson silver

The Pauls are ISO dude. That's what Campy uses.
I guess we could go WI or Phil on that front....

One last thing we need to decide- do you want the pretty trick Paul dropouts or the paragon track ends I already specified?

paul20dropouts.jpg

P10_DR2020_1.JPG

This thing is going to be so sick!
5388859340_768f46b990_b.jpg

With the saddle a little bit lower this thing will be pretty awesome for BMX racing, mellow sets down at the dirtjumps. And full-speed singletrack shredding.

AtomicAtom":20kqijzy said:
Duh, I am bb stupid. ISO is right. I think if w are going all Paul why not use their dropouts too!

Besides the fact that the Paragon ones are on my desk right now?
The flanged drops will make the rear end stiffer. The chain tensioners built in the Paul drops are nice though.

Hell it doesn't really matter to me either way. If the Paragons are on your desk use those. I like their look a little more than the Paul. The only reason I gave any precedence to the Paul was because they are Paul. I like being stiffer than just having a name.

Latest posts

Back