Well it's a PAce but not as we know it...

Maybe, but I have to say, I don't see the harm in them doing whatever they want really?

It's kind of unrealistic to think industries shouldn't change and evolve and go with trends isn't it.

There was obviously a financial reason for a shift from £1000 alu hardtails built up north. If people weren't buying enough of 'em, what can they do?

I quite liked the hardtail they did last year.

oh now I DO Like the 853 hardtail, that is gorgeous.

As far as the fixie bike goes though, most people I know with fixies have salvaged/rescued their frames and sorted them out as opposed to buying off the shelf. But that's just me.

LeeDevelopment":18b4uxgw said:
As far as the fixie bike goes though, most people I know with fixies have salvaged/rescued their frames and sorted them out as opposed to buying off the shelf.

But then you are a 'seasoned cyclist', so perhaps it is not unreasonable to assume that other people you know are 'seasoned cyclists' too, and therefore more likely to take the admittedly cheaper, but definitely not easier route of building their own bike. Ask anyone who works in Evans etc in London how many of these OTP 'fixies' they sell and Im sure you will be surprised. Charge etc have done a great job of pumping these things out at a good price, and anything that gets more people cycling (especially in cities) is a good thing. So what if Pace want to sell a hundred of these at a good mark-up, it would be naive to think that they have stayed in business this long without compromising someone else's rose-tinted view of cycling integrity, they have every right to take what they can from cycling, as they have put so much in.

My take is that it's too little, too late. The fixie thing went out the window when every Corporate Brand had to have their own fixie bike. 3 years from now, noone will be buying fixies any more.

Pretty and seemingly well-put-together as theirs is, as innovators, Pace shouldn't have been the last kids on the block to make one.

Oh dear, they have lost their way a little.

I saw one of the 853 frames at my LBS last year. Nothing special I'm afraid to say. just another made in taiwan steel frame.

dbmtb":1zuakjrc said:
My take is that it's too little, too late. The fixie thing went out the window when every Corporate Brand had to have their own fixie bike. 3 years from now, noone will be buying fixies any more.

Again, in Cities across the world they are still selling well. If you are in the right demographic, live in a City and are looking for a bike to get you to work/pootle round on sunny days/make a style statement you are not going to buy an expensive mountain bike or road bike as they are too specific and will not suit your requirements. The OTP 'fixie' generally has a freewheel and is provided with brakes, like the vast majority of Dutch town bikes etc.

London Fixed Gear and Single Speed forum has 10,000 members, it is massive in Tokyo, New York, San Francisco, it is not 'out of the window', itnis a very real and viable future for Urban cycling, it is sustainable - in both senses!

(nb. I do not ride a fixie, I have never ridden one, I am not likely to buy or build one, but I am passionate about Cycling)

Wrt to Pace as innovators - agreed, however they have only ever gone downhill (pun intended) in this respect since 1989 really, and especially since the DT Swiss thing.

Rod_Saetan":eh52lrq5 said:
[If you are in the right demographic, live in a City and are looking for a bike to get you to work/pootle round on sunny days/make a style statement you are not going to buy an expensive mountain bike or road bike as they are too specific and will not suit your requirements. The OTP 'fixie' generally has a freewheel and is provided with brakes, like the vast majority of Dutch town bikes etc.

London Fixed Gear and Single Speed forum has 10,000 members, it is massive in Tokyo, New York, San Francisco, it is not 'out of the window', itnis a very real and viable future for Urban cycling, it is sustainable - in both senses!

That's why I'm giving it 3 more years till the bubble bursts.

The problem is that they are so low-maintenance, and so function-specific, that I don't see people wearing them out and having to replace them....

I took a fixed-wheel winter bike with me to Denmark when I moved here in 94. Never saw another one on the streets till 2004. Now they're everywhere as a fashion statement. Which is fine as such. But they WILL go out of fashion at some point which is when it will revert to being a niche thing.

Latest posts

Back