2011 Kona Explosif Frame

davegt

Old School Hero
Hi Folks

I notice in a Kona brochure (2010) that they still sell the Explosif frame. Is this the same as its always been in the 90's or has geometery changed to account for longer travel forks etc?

I am struggling to get any information on it.

Essentially I want to do a modern, usable take on a classic but modern sus forks and disc brakes are a must. The explosif frame could be ideal.

Also, I was heavily into bikes from 1993-1996 then passed my driving test and pissed money away on cars rather than bikes!

Something I have missed in the 2000's: When did Kona change from using steel to alloy in the hardtails?

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Info here from Kona site with all specs below

http://www.konaworld.co/bike.cfm?content=explosif

From what I have read the new Kona Exposifs are very different to the classics from the 90's. The headangle is something like 68.7-69.2 degrees for a 100mm fork, longer forks are not an option due to the slack ha. They use "Kona butted chromoly" not a patch on what they use to be. The new price was around £600 which seemed steep compared with other offerings.

If you are after a modern "retro" feel bike check out the Cotic Soul (based on Kona design) or the new Genesis Latitude 853 frame.

I was myself tempted by a new Kona as my '97 Kilaeua is just so good, Kona hardtails tend to get good reviews but the high price and basic tubing put me off. Still some are selling for bargain prices just now. I did think about an explosif from 2004 as they had True Temper Ox Platinum tubes, disc mounts etc and weighed around 4.5lbs - one on ebay right now if you fancy that.

Hope this helps

Thanks! Thats really interesting. It seems Kona really lost there way at some point. If the Explosif frame is dear and not made as well as the original thats really dissapointing! When you look at the photo it does look less elegant than the older ones.

I like the Cotic Soul, lovely bike. As you say, you get the retro feel and looks in a modern, useable package.

The other option is to get an older Explosif Frame and braze on disc mounts etc, although you are very limited to the front suspension you can fit.

I am moving to Australia in a few months and pending selling my Lapierre I would like to take 1 bike over with me. Nice retro/modern hardtail would be perfect.

Does anybody know when Kona stopped the "decent" steel frames? Kilaua, Explosif etc?

Cheers

Dave

On the cinder cone, I think kona changed from steel to aluminium in 1999. In 2001 the explosif was made from scandium even.

They are now making the blink and buffer - long travel steel bikes but again own brand tubing and quite heavy.

You could convert an explosif to discs and a 100mm fork would be ok for '97 on but it is an expensive route to go.

Hope you find something for your time in Oz. I lived in Germany when younger down in the alps bordering Austria and took my Parkpre Comp Ltd, had some amazing rides (and accidents!) so definitely worth getting a bike to explore on.

the last decent tubing used on the Explosif was Dedaccaia and that was from 2005 til 2007 i think. i had one of these and it was pretty good i thought. they do pop up from time to time on ebay as well. Kona never changed the geometry of their XC bikes from 1994 until now they just changed the length and rise of their stems As for the price of the 2010 model you can pick them up on sale at around £300 online. if it was me i'd be looking at the Rocky Mountain Blizzard, Cotic Soul or the Charge Duster

Thanks to everybody for their contribution on this. The Kona archive stuff is really usefull, added to favourites!

I didnt realise that they didnt change the geometery. For the layman would that mean that you would be able to fit say 100mm travel suspension forks to a 1994 lava dome frame assuming you made alterations to the stem height and length for accomodate for this?

If so I have a build plan!

davegt":1ia61zc5 said:
Thanks to everybody for their contribution on this. The Kona archive stuff is really usefull, added to favourites!

I didnt realise that they didnt change the geometery. For the layman would that mean that you would be able to fit say 100mm travel suspension forks to a 1994 lava dome frame assuming you made alterations to the stem height and length for accomodate for this?

If so I have a build plan!

Yep I had a fox 100rl on my '95 Kilauea and it was fine. It does feel better with 80mm Sids on it though IMO. More racy like the what the bike was designed for

Yeah, I had a '94 explosif until a broke the frame in '97 at one of the drop outs. Kona replaced it with an '07 explosif that I built up with my '94 components and a P2 jump fork (yeah to the lifetime warranty). It was unusual tubing, if I recall it was tange ultra prestige, but some of the tubing had external ribbing along it's length.

Now if you have to go new, by a Cotic and help put food on the table for my buddy Cy.

Attachments

• Kona Explosif 2.jpg
    Kona Explosif 2.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 7,565
Superb!

Just placed order for 80mm Manitou Drakes in white.

Short stem maybe 80-100mm and a race face XC riser and it should be perfect!

Modern take on a classic old frame.

Perfect.

I cant tell you how usefull this thread has been, thanks to all who have contributed.

Will need to get round to posting pics of the 3 Konas!

Thanks again

Dave

Back