700C wheels and cross tyres in a MTB frame?

Dr S

Old School Grand Master
Its probably been asked before, but does a 700c wheel with cross tyres fit inside a mountain bike rear end? I have a frame kicking about and fancy building up a cyclo cross stylee hack. Also, does anyone make a cheap cyclocross fork that takes discs?

cheers
Si

Depends on the frame. I did on my Saracen here. No chainstay bridge helps. I have the brake adapters needed for sale too ;)

p4011547medium.jpg

Cool, thanks Ed. This frame has no chainstay bridge and is disc only so brakes are not an issue. I have found some cheapo disc only cross forks too so might have a dig through the junk pile and see if i can coble something together.

Sounds an interesting idea but won't it lift everything up a little too high? And are you going to use cable discs and a travel agent so that you can use drops?

Hmm, my experience with Dia Compe 287vs and v brakes wasn't at all good, would be interested to hear if they are better with discs.

That said, Avid do a road version of the BB7 that is designed to work with STis/Ergos etc. so that's probably the neatest solution. But perhaps not on a parts bin budget.

I'm thinking along the lines of a fast singletrack / urban commutor kinda thing; think hybrid on coke. I want a bike i can just jump on and go for a fast run for a few hours on a sunday without the drag of fat tyres. I tried a road bike last year and hated the fact i could not dive off down the footpaths i was passing along the way.
I was pondering the use of very shallow drops or Jones H bars rather than arse in the air drops. The extra height shouldn't be too much of a problem i hope.

a friend's running a 700c set up on a 94 bontrager race lite.

works fine. actually, he says it rides better.

Latest posts

Back