Royce hubs, British engineering and 29er wheels

IbocProSX

Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I've been planning a sturdy XC wheelset for the Curtlo rigid steel 29er for a while. The build is gloss black with polished alloy and Ti & white finishing kit so it had to be polished hubs. When the wheelbuilder offered me a set of sample Royce hubs the deal was done quickly. Precision crafted polished bodies with all weather bearings and a titanium axle, what's not to like?

So this week I picked up the new set from the wheelbuilder. Ice on the trails with air temperatures above zero meant the first ride was not a proper test, mor of a balancing act. But the wheels are tight & stiff with a very very smooth and silent freehub that picks up well. I'll follow up with a ride report when I've had a chance to ride them as intended.

There is not a lot of light outside working hours, so feast your eyes on these indoor shots, they show off the finish better anyways:

Royce_001.jpg

Royce_017.jpg

Royce_008.jpg

Royce_022.jpg

Enjoy!!

Thats nice :cool: I'd be tempted to remove the decals, kinda contrast of styles.

They are nice hubs, not seen many about though.

I've thought about the rim decals as there is no red on the bike anyhwere. But somehow I never like the look of bikes with rim decals removed. I don't know why really, as it should be rather stealthy. Maybe I can get some made up a little less brash and in white only ...

I fitted the new Flows on Royce wheels up with a set of Bonty XR's and was out on the trails for an hour today. Lovely wheels, nice and tight and precise, I reduced pressure by 2 psi compared to previous Mavic set and still was more accurate.
Plus I kinda liked the silent running freehub which in fact goes for the whole bike. Even the brakes kept quiet today. There is something to a rigid still singlepeed with a silent drivetrain on a flowing singletrack in the cold winter air that is magic. Here some pictures of the wheels on the bike after hosing it down:

p4pb6049249.jpg

p4pb6049245.jpg

p4pb6049248.jpg

p4pb6049244.jpg

Enjoy!!

Very :cool: I take it back about the decals, they are quite discrete. Wonderful bike :)

Back