Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:58 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:20 pm 
Retro Guru

Having never really faffed about with suspension much before...other than having bikes with it on..I am a little confused as to what I can do.

I am mulling rebuilding my 98/99 Orange UFO, using more modern suspension.

The rear I am planning on keeping the travel the same at 4", though using a 3-way Swinger in pLace of the rather dismall OE Shockwave.

The front has Manitou Xverts on...again 4" . But I fancy a little more travel, and have sourced some Nixons at 145mm, ummm 5.5"? Though these do have the Infinite Travel system on..so can easily be shortened.

My other option would be to keep a little more period, and fit a 4" Fox Vanilla, and a pair of Marzocchi Junior T's at 170mm/6.5".

Would this be too much for my frame, and completely cock up all the geometry/ridability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:15 am 
Retro Guru

Anyone?

170mm travel on my UFO ? Silly idea, dangerous, stupid, or OK for a little Trail fun.

OE was 100mm..though the Mr White & MsIsle ( very similar frames and geo ) would take much more...admittedly there has a little more bracing around the headtube.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:29 am 
Old School Grand Master

keitht wrote:
Anyone?

170mm travel on my UFO ? Silly idea, dangerous, stupid, or OK for a little Trail fun.

OE was 100mm..though the Mr White & MsIsle ( very similar frames and geo ) would take much more...admittedly there has a little more bracing around the headtube.

That bracing is there for good reason! Tube thickness may also be different, as is geometry.
I would think twice about sticking an extra 70mm travel on a bike designed for 100.
Also, I have yet to ride a bike that has benefitted from fitting forks that are much longer than maker's recommendations...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:45 am 
Retro Guru

suburbanreuben wrote:
keitht wrote:
Anyone?

That bracing is there for good reason! Tube thickness may also be different, as is geometry.
I would think twice about sticking an extra 70mm travel on a bike designed for 100.
Also, I have yet to ride a bike that has benefitted from fitting forks that are much longer than maker's recommendations...

Ta...you have of course confirmed what I knew I suppose...just being daft.

I have several sets of forks..all with longer travel than the Xverts on the UFO and was just hoping to use them.

Ah well....maybe I should just stick to the originals and find another frame to stick the Nixons and Junior Ts on.

Thanks again for your sense inducing reply.

Regards Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:42 am 
Old School Grand Master

Having said that.... I can't treally see, say, 120mm being a problem...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:52 am 
Retro Guru

Hmmmmm.

I have some 04 Nixons with the Infinite travel option.

So reckon I may get away with these. They are practically unused and would suit the UFO well.

Only issue is the disc mount....my PM to IS Hope adaptor..doesn't quite fit..and will need one or more washers/spacers to allow it to bolt down properly without fouling the fork leg.

Reckon about 3-4mm...so not sure whether this means I can't use the required disc.

K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:02 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Think 170 would be going too far but 130/40 should be fine. For a good 5 years Orange have listed the range of travel each bike can accept so I bet you can run different lengths on yours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:20 pm 
Retro Guru

brocklanders023 wrote:
Think 170 would be going too far but 130/40 should be fine. For a good 5 years Orange have listed the range of travel each bike can accept so I bet you can run different lengths on yours.

Yep...I agree, the Junior Ts are far too long..

going to try the Nixons out..and see how that goes.

many thanks.

K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:45 pm 

Get some bloody long forks on it man. Late 90's bikes were really steep at the front anyway so whack the 170 on it and slacken it off to a nice 67 degrees and point it down a big rocky hill. Mini downhill bike!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:03 pm 
Retro Guru

Dr S wrote:
Get some bloody long forks on it man. Late 90's bikes were really steep at the front anyway so whack the 170 on it and slacken it off to a nice 67 degrees and point it down a big rocky hill. Mini downhill bike!

Bloody madmad.... :lol:

K