LX or XT? Disc's or V's? Rigid front?

LX or XT? Rigid or Suspension? Disc or V's? Tires?

• LX

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • XT

• Rigid

• Suspension

• V's

• Disc's

• Knobby

• Road like

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jmacbrid

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have a 2002 Specialized Hardrock A1 FS, on the way. This was the first new MTB I was brought for my Birthday and got stolen after 6 months while on my paper round, it wasn't a 2002 by 1998 I think but thats neither here or there.

I am going to make this bike into a do it all machine, fitness training for AFL in Sweden (main use), some off road and commuting when the Trek is in piece's.

So I have a few ideas in my head but any more information will help, three aspects will be considered price, performance, weight during the build.

Plans so far,

1 x 9, with a road cassette or close ratios,
Flat bars with bar ends.

Undecided,

LX or XT components. Would not mind those rapid rise shifter's.
Disc's or V's? If so what brand.
Rigid suspension corrected front or suspension forks?
Knobby tire's vs Skinny road like slicks?

Vote or leave a reply, any feedback with be great.

Jamie

V brakes (Avid eg) are cheap, light and highly adjustable, discs are only really needed off road or heavily laden

Your poll will not work as intended and not much you can do about that. We can only make one choice, not multiple

If you need disc, use them. If you don't then get v's or whatever is available really.

Are you staying period correct. If not just buy a bulk groupset it may be cheaper, like SLX or even the Deore should be perfectly fine and comes in v and disc and disc with wheel setups
http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... B/list.htm

Sounds like it's going to be a road training bike so get suspension it'll help with the fitness carrying the extra weight and if the road are anything like around here the 1" / 2" pot holes shouldn't hurt so much.
Get some semi slicks, loads around. They'll increase road resistance against true slicks which all helps with the training and makes your offroad sections a little easier

Back