External Bottom Bracket recommendations

BertR00t

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I am after a new BB for the Pace as the XT one in it has drive side bearing issues. I have ordered a new crank that comes with a BB, Raceface DH, but have heard bad things about them.

Have looked at Hope Ceramic and Stainless and also Chris King. Will be mainly XC/AM use.

What do you all recommend?

Doubt you'd go wrong with Hope. After sales and back up is without equal and the quality is fantastic.

im using howitzer bb at the moment (which i think is specific to the cranks)
ive had it a short while so cant comment on durability but it went in nice and is smooth and it felt stiffer than my old truvavtiv giga pipe (which wasnt a bad bb either). im not a truvavtiv brand fan, just happened to get good deals on them, but theyre pretty good :)

From experience I'd recommend a Hope stainless BB. Much better quality seals than on the Shimano external BBs and the bearings are replaceable too.

i use hope stainless steel in 3 bikes, have replaced one bearing in about 2 1/2 years. can't complain at that. i used the original raceface one to begin with and i didn't last that long.

personally i would only use hope or king, that is it.

i haven't used a king but if it's anything at all like their headsets then it would be a sensible bet that the b/b would be good.

Cheers. Was a bit sceptical about paying more for ceramic Hope to be honest so may take a chance on an SS one instead.

when the shimano bb's died i converted to hope ss and never had a problem

tell a lie i had to grease one the other month and that wasn't worn just need grease ;)

Back