GPS?

claret73

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Not quite Retro, otherwise I'd be buying up OS Maps...

But does anybody use a GPS to download routes, record routes that they're riding etc?

What to go for? Look out for? I'm not sure I want H/R Training info...but handy to be able to record your ride & have it for future use?

Done a bit of flicking & looking at:
Memory Map 2800
Garmin(s)? - Models??

I use sportstracklive to record and log data from routes but it does not have any mapping / route options

I use Cyclemeter for the iPhone for logging rides and it is fantastic. Gives you climb, average speed, max speed and loads of other stuff and gives you the route on google maps. I like it a lot.

I'm using Sportstracker and my cellphone. Bought the Bluetooth pulsebelt for it too.

Had a problem uploading a couple of times but it's a cool system compared to the competition.

I've just bought Viewranger for my Nokia 5230 - it's the only real option I found for the Symbian OS after a bit of research. Viewranger allows you to download 1:50k and 1:25k OS maps where you choose which areas to download from all over the country, you're not limited to the fixed areas on the Explorer maps. 1000 sq km costs around £20. The app itself is great to use and marks where you've been, where you are, then all the graphs of altitude, speed etc.

orange71":3bxhe9h0 said:
I've just bought Viewranger for my Nokia 5230 - it's the only real option I found for the Symbian OS after a bit of research.

Sadly does not cover Denmark, but will be investing in this for use elsewhere. Looks the business.

Garmin GPS etrex does everything you need, waterproof damage proof 12hr battry life, backlight handlebar mounts available, only the X series will actually download maps, but are useless in the sun as they have a colour screen and turns invisable, Go to Garmins website, they start at about £120 and go upto £450, then you can buy the TOPO softwear if you want to go all posh, but again thatrs only for the X series.
I use the Garmin Etrex for walking, biking , caving, finding climbing routes,
It tells you milage, min accent max accent, altitude, min speed, max speed, ave speed, digital compass, constantly giving you a 10 figure grid refefrence, which is acurate down to a meter, you can save route plot routes, then use it as single waypoints or if you on your bike you can use it as a full route, 250 waypoints can be plotted i think, and it works with merorymap, so you can plot you ride in 3d on the pc at home then just click a button and it will download it straight to your Garmin Etrex, and thes the cheapest one you can buy.
The more fancy ones are ok if you go sailiung and hang gliding and want stupid amounts of information.
All the new ones can be used in 95% of Europe if not 100% now.
DONT BUY A GEKO, if you want the next one up from a Etrex go for the GPS60, here is the link to them

http://www.garmin.com/uk/products/outdo ... handhelds/

Back