Attachments

• P1020352-1.jpg
    P1020352-1.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 3,107
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 3,107
The guy?
His name is Jan Kopka. I havent heart about him before...
But apparently hes very active and quite good.
he also does Snow bike camps over winter here in Czech "Jizerky" and "Krkonose" Mountains

Those r some of the races. Havent known them before
• Dolomitenmann 1996
• Crocodile Trophy 2000
• Iditarod Trail Invitational 2003
• Iditarod Trail Invitational 2007
• Trans Rockies 2008
• La Ruta 2008
• Titan Desert 2009
• Mongolia Bike Challenge 2010

On his web he has has pictures of two other bikes he did with duratec before this one.. so this is the third generation

http://www.jankopka.cz/main/partneri.htm

I've just been looking at the slideshow of the black framed bike with mango hubs and Magura Marta SL brakeset.
That thing is just beautiful - a real work of art, as well as supremely functional. Some lovely frame and fork detailing.

I'll save those links - thank you very much :cool:

In fact, for those of us not always bothered about out-and-out speed any more (ie, us old bastards) I'm starting to think that something like that (or other fat bikes, but that Duratec is lovely) would be a Good Thing. Run those tyres at low pressures and with low enough gearing I reckon that it would be able to creep up over loose, greasy rocks and through moorland bogs with some style...... ;)

The more I see of them the more I like the idea.

its funny ive red anoher article about preparation for some arctic race and you have to think about such details as cleaning all the bearings dry and putting in some special vaseline that can withstand extreme low temperatures. Otherwise you would get stuck.

Im hooked up on how fat bikes look :LOL:
I would love to try it to feel the difference. Im sure for some epic expeditions its the only way to go, but for half to one day rides, I dont know wether its not overkill.
I was doing some winter riding before and even with normal 2.1 knobbies you are having good time. Even occasional struggling is fun.

Im thinking to build up second wheelset for my xc bike using 47mm, single wall, drilled out, 600 grams trials rims (atomz, echo, try-all) and getting something like Schwalbe rocket ron 2.4 tires or some other bigger tires that are around 500 - 700 grams

Cant help feeling those wheels are going to be very heavy. Usual trick to lighten a bike and thus make it a better ride is to reduce the weight of the rotational mass, snow bikes seem counter intuative.

Stop cycling and get some cross country ski's if the snows that bad ;)

velomaniac":3olivhpp said:
Cant help feeling those wheels are going to be very heavy. Usual trick to lighten a bike and thus make it a better ride is to reduce the weight of the rotational mass, snow bikes seem counter intuative.

Stop cycling and get some cross country ski's if the snows that bad ;)

best of both worlds ;)

skibike-1.jpg

Back