Lightweight - but usabe tyres

Olliepen

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi

I need some lightweight tyre’s that aren't going to fall to bits on me and have some puncture resistance - what do you guys recommend?

thanks

Ollie

Tyres are a very personal thing but from my experience I use Continental Speed Kings, Schwalbe Nobby Nic's and Racing Ralphs. All very fast tyres and I have not had problems with punctures.

Can't fault the above choices.

An excellent combo if you want grip AND low rolling resistance is Racing Ralph rear, Nobby Nic front.

Never tried the other two, but my Speed King 2.3s never cease to amaze me. They have incredible grip given that the knobs are so small and few. The even worked the other day on hard pcked snow and ice.
They roll pretty fast too.

I run a Kenda Nevegal/Blue Grove 2.1 combo and think they're ace. Not heavy but not the lightest either.

For light weight, the Maxxis High Rollers always get good reviews.

It all depends on where and and on what you ride really. Some excellent suggestions above but they are more XC biased. The lighter tyres will get ripped to tatters before you know it if you are riding rougher rocky ground (I got sick of buying new Continentals and Schwalbes this summer).

My favourites are Kenda Bluegroove. Light enough and reasonably fast rolling for XC but grip well and resist damage on more aggressive terrain. Go for the Stick-E if you have a lot of wet rocks and roots locally, or the 2.3 DTC for a good all rounder that works just as well on hardpack and fireroad as it does on roots. Finally, If you have a lot of loose climbs on your routes you might want to try a Kenda Excavator on the back. Again a great tyre.

Being enormous and clumsy makes me a tyre-killing expert. I can't say enough good things about Swalbe's Nobby Nics. They're just like Ritchey WCSs from back in the day in weight and profile ( I love a round profile tyre ) but MUCH more durable than I found the Ritcheys to be. Super grippy too in all but the gloopiest conditions.

kenda karmas are a good all round tyre quite light too
they're stock fitment on some GT's so you might find folk swapping them out and therefore cheap

mikee":1w4qf6rl said:
kenda karmas are a good all round tyre quite light too
they're stock fitment on some GT's so you might find folk swapping them out and therefore cheap

Though OE spec is often inferior. :(

Back