Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:59 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:07 pm 
aka Leo Swayer
aka Leo Swayer

I'm in the process of turning my Rocky Mountain Vertex hardtail into a 69er, more out of curiosity than anything else.
The frame is designed around an 80mm fork. I've attached some 445mm a/c P2's which is almost exactly the a/c of the 80mm fork that was on the bike originally.
If I now throw in a 29er front wheel it shouldn't upset the handling too much should it?
It will raise the front a further 30mmish which would be more or less the same as fitting a 100mm fork, or would it?
Anything i've overlooked? :D

Last edited by Grannygrinder on Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:05 am 
Retro Guru

Even if you can maintain a similar head tube to ground dimension as you had with the 26" wheel, the handling will still feel a bit different, as you end up with more trail with the 29" wheel. Ideally, you need forks with more offset to counteract this but I don't know of any that are short enough axle-crown for your purposes (you could get away with as little as 425mm) except the forks that Singular Cycles fit to the Hummingbird 69er, which I think are 445mm. I'll measure in the morning.
The extra offset also has the advantage of providing you with a little more toe clearance.

You'll probably end up slackening the frame angles by about 1.5° - 2°.

Try it anyway - in my experience you soon get used to any handling changes, which are no more extreme than you notice when changing from one bike to another.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:23 am 
Retro Guru

An update on this -

The Hummingbird forks are 445mm a/c dimension.

Head angle is 70° and fork offset is 55mm (compared to a more usual of about 38mm) which with that head angle and the 29" wheel gives a resultant trail of 75mm.

This geometry just works and is an almost magical blend of low speed poise and agility and high speed stability and "plantedness" - and yet you can change line almost just by thinking - the best handling and most fun bike that I have ever ridden, just amazingly good. I wish I'd had something as capable as this 20 years ago, when I could have done it more justice :wink:

Anyway, Sam was selling these forks on their own a while back- you could always drop him a line- sam@singularcycles.com and see if he has any available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:50 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

I tried a 29 wheel on my Cotic when using a 440mm Pace RC31 fork. Handling was fine but i kept hitting my toes on the wheel when turning which buggers things up a bit.
Dare I say it was a bit fugly too. :?

Si

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:41 pm 
Posh Mark
Posh Mark

There was some advice from Cy (of Cotic) about this over on STW.

He said that the shorter the AtoC (clearance allowing) was the best way forward.

A AtoC of 425mm is closer to the geometry of an 80mm fork.

I have a Salsa Cromoto on my 63mm travel adjusted frame and that works fine with a 29'' wheel - maybe a bit tall but not so much to be a pain - about the same as it was with 100mm forks on.

I would have thought that a 440mm fork and a 29'' wheel would jack up the front end on your bike too much :?

May not though :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:48 pm 

letmetalktomark wrote:

He said that the shorter the AtoC (clearance allowing) was the best way forward.

I have a Salsa Cromoto on my 63mm travel adjusted frame and that works fine with a 29'' wheel - maybe a bit tall but not so much to be a pain - about the same as it was with 100mm forks on.

I would have thought that a 440mm fork and a 29'' wheel would jack up the front end on your bike too much :?

440 is roughly about the same as a 100mm fork and the Soul is designed for a 120mm fork but works really well up to 140mm. The Bfe which shares the same geometry is designed around anything up to a 160mm fork so there is room for manouvre.
Depends on the frame, going slacker is no crime and all the rage with the kids. I'm running a 170mm fork on my Banshee (designed for 140-160mm).

I would worry about toe clearance more than head angle tbh.

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:18 pm 
aka Leo Swayer
aka Leo Swayer

Thanks for the info everybody :wink:
This is how the bike is looking currently, with its 26" wheel and 445mm fork.
Chainstay is still sloping slightly down towards the BB, which I think means I haven't gone too far yet :D
I'll try it with the 29" front, if it turns into a horrible handling nightmare, i'll try and lay my hands on a slightly shorter fork.
I'm wondering if a bigger diametre(rolling circumference) rear tyre and a narrower smaller diametre front might help slightly?

Attachments:
good.jpg
good.jpg [ 136.09 KiB | Viewed 2253 times ]

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:26 pm 
aka Leo Swayer
aka Leo Swayer

Andy :D how are you measuring the offset? If it was a motorbike I would use a level/straight edge to continue the angle of the headtube in a straightline down towards the front spindle. Then measure, on the horizontal, from the spindle centre to the level/straightedge which would give me the offset?
Does this sound right? :D
If its right the offset of the P2's is approx 45mm, which isn't a million miles away from ideal i think?
The bike rides nicely at the moment. If the 29" doesn't suit I may stick with how she is now and start saving for a Singular :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:44 pm 
Posh Mark
Posh Mark

Dr S wrote:
letmetalktomark wrote:

440 is roughly about the same as a 100mm fork and the Soul is designed for a 120mm fork but works really well up to 140mm. The Bfe which shares the same geometry is designed around anything up to a 160mm fork so there is room for manouvre.
Depends on the frame, going slacker is no crime and all the rage with the kids. I'm running a 170mm fork on my Banshee (designed for 140-160mm).

I would worry about toe clearance more than head angle tbh.

Should have been clearer - the example did not pertain to one of his models.

Post subject: Re: .
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:46 pm 
Posh Mark
Posh Mark

Grannygrinder wrote:
Thanks for the info everybody :wink:
This is how the bike is looking currently, with its 26" wheel and 445mm fork.
Chainstay is still sloping slightly down towards the BB, which I think means I haven't gone too far yet :D
I'll try it with the 29" front, if it turns into a horrible handling nightmare, i'll try and lay my hands on a slightly shorter fork.
I'm wondering if a bigger diametre(rolling circumference) rear tyre and a narrower smaller diametre front might help slightly?

That looks steep as it is.

With a 29'' wheel it will be quite chopper like :?

A shorter fork would offset the difference made by the 29'' wheel.