hope caliper fouling spokes

marinking

Retro Guru
I have a 2000 Marin East Peak, and am having trouble trying to fit some discs
I have a set of Hope C2 calipers, and am using a set wtb rims on Simano hubs. They all bolt up fine, but the front wheel is having clearance problems
The inside edge of the caliper fouls the spokes slightly, enough to seriously affect the movement of the wheel. When you spin the wheel, it hits the caliper and slow down until it eventually stops

Any ideas how to overcome this? Can I space the wheel over slightly to gain clearance?

Is it JUST catching? Is it in an area with plenty of meat? If so get the file out.

Could you fit washers behind the disc then space the caliper further out? Assuming you have the adjustment for that.

Is the wheel dished correctly?

Assuming it is a Shimano hub with cup and cone bearings could you loosen the lock-nuts and move the bearings across the axle a few millimetres. I know setting up cup and cone bearings is a PITA but may help resolve your problem if nothing else works.

they are 180mm rotors I do believe. The wheel spins, but you can noticeably feel that it catches, so wouldnt be happy leaving it. I had thought about taking a file to the caliper, but thought that was butchery, but seeing as others have suggested it, then maybe the way to go :D

It is a Shimano hub yes

I havnt got the ability to space the caliper out, as it bolts to the inside of the fork, not the outside, so spacing it would make matters worse

I shouldve said, its a 2002 (I think) Rockshox SID fork if that makes any difference, and number 3 Hope calipers

i have a black number 3 caliper which has already been filed down a little for the same problem (done it years ago) it works well , pm me if your intrested ;)

big.eck":1ie7zpdd said:
i have a black number 3 caliper which has already been filed down a little for the same problem (done it years ago) it works well , pm me if your intrested ;)

Thanks for the offer, but I will stick with thw ones that I have, but have you got a picture of it so that I can see what you did? I will have a go dong it with mine

thanks

Back