Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:05 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:12 am 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru

P20 wrote:
I ran pace on the bonty, they 'fluttered' under braking, but were comfortable. Only advantage of the pace compared to other carbon forks is the fact there are some 1" out there. The build quality was poor, I had to shim the crown race.
I ran exotic carbons on the dialled. Stiffer than the pace, despite running bigger brakes. They are the same as bontrager, superstars, White bros, etc but cheaper. Probably not as comfy as the rigid steels on the P20, but a good fork.

Just interested on the shimed crown race - was it not a JIS / campy compatability thing ? :?

WD :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:05 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

i liked the look of them but they are very rigid
a good pair of steel forks are better comfort wise imo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:14 pm 
Retro Guru

i run Pace forks and discs on my MC Rumble find 'em quite comfy and have not noticed any flex with the discs.
plus they look pimp!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:23 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

WD Pro wrote:
P20 wrote:
I ran pace on the bonty, they 'fluttered' under braking, but were comfortable. Only advantage of the pace compared to other carbon forks is the fact there are some 1" out there. The build quality was poor, I had to shim the crown race.
I ran exotic carbons on the dialled. Stiffer than the pace, despite running bigger brakes. They are the same as bontrager, superstars, White bros, etc but cheaper. Probably not as comfy as the rigid steels on the P20, but a good fork.

Just interested on the shimed crown race - was it not a JIS / campy compatability thing ? :?

WD :D

Dunno, but you'd expect a MTB fork to be compatible with either a FSA or Chris King headset. That was the 2nd pair of forks i recieved from Pace, the 1st were 11/8. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:04 am 
Retro Guru

Andy R wrote:
From my experience, any claimed improvement in comfort/vibration absorbtion etc. is very overstated and you'd get more of an improvement from a biggish front tyre (2.35") run at low (20-25psi) pressure.
I think that well designed steel forks (Vicious Cycles, Salsa, Singular, whatever) give a more comfortable ride than any carbon fork, apart from probably the Niner fork, which I haven't tried.

The only advantage (IMHO) that those carbon forks which are constructed by bonding carbon tube to aluminium dropouts and crown give is a small decrease in weight over steel. I'd stay with steel forks and use carbon bars myself.

Id agree with you too on that one :lol: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:31 am 
Retro Guru

thanks for the opinions guys.

I was after some carbons, maybe Exotic, but having stripped my old kona down and weighed the P2s, I've found that with mud and grease and steerer plug and canti bolts still attached, they're still only just over 800g! Think I'll stick with them.

Nice to hear various experiences though; I hadn't realised carbon was supposed to be forgiving; I'd expected it to be more like Aluminium in feel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:26 pm 
Retro Guru

The P2s are a bloody good fork mate and work realy well. :lol: Also they are a hell of alot cheaper to buy.