Mount Snowdon

DeSelby

Devout Dirtbag
Hi Guys

I was going to take my mountain bike up Snowdon Saturday but due to the snow decided not to. Instead I walked up and down :cool:

I was surprised however to see a group of three guys on bikes on the way up and then another two flew past while on the way down. Top respect. I have not been up there on a bike yet and didnt want to make the first attempt in the snow.

Onto the point of this post, I think all but one of the bikes were full suspension, is it necessary to do this on a full suspension or is it OK to do on a hardtail? I was personally going to do on a hard tail as thats all I have :roll:

The next question is the main one, what tyres are these guys using. I was going to ask them but the first lot were to far away and the second lot were not stopping for no one!

DeSelby

You can do it on a hardtail no probs and you don't need any specific tyre either- just something reasonable will do. :cool:

DeSelby":2mawivvr said:
Onto the point of this post, I think all but one of the bikes were full suspension, is it necessary to do this on a full suspension or is it OK to do on a hardtail? I was personally going to do on a hard tail as thats all I have :roll:

I can't think of many occasions where full sus is truly "necessary". There is not much you can't do with a rigid bike. I am not saying that a full sus won't do some things better, but the same can be said the other way round.

When I did the Leeds - Liverpool canal last year I met up with two lads on full sussers. Tried to tell me I shouldn't attempt it on a hybrid. :) A canal ffs!

What's up with you boys ? :LOL:

My bear valley has been up there twice with nothing more than a flexstem and 1.5" hardpacks :D

Taking it up the zig zags was the mistake ... :LOL:

WD :D

isn't there some sort of voluntary ban on cycling up Snowdon these days or is that summer time only?

orange71":qryb1zxq said:
isn't there some sort of voluntary ban on cycling up Snowdon these days or is that summer time only?

I think it was just for summer. No bikes between 10am and 5pm.

I don't know for sure but I can well imagine so :-( at the time we did it (15+ years ago :oops:) it was frowned upon and things like that never get any easier or the rules relaxed :-( I do seem to recal getting an early start though to mimise exposure to the general public :D

WD :D

Come down via the Ranger Path and Telegraph Valley - better descent and considerably less foot traffic.

The only reason I didnt try to do the ride was the snow. No probably would have broke my neck and caused the RAF to fly out to get me. Thought they would have better things to do than drag my backside of the mountain. Walking it was safer for me.

I will be going back early next year when there is less snow maybe March April time and trying to ride it then. If not try and do it in the summer after 5:00.

This pic is from Saturday about 3/4 the way up.

Back