Singlespeed Dropout Advice Please

clunker

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Selling my Simple shortly that ran track dropouts but experienced a few issues with the chain slacking and me heading over the bars :oops: . I have a new custom frame being built to meet my lanky requirements and not sure whether to go with Eccentric Bottom Bracket or Slider Dropouts this time round :?:

Presumably you weren't doing them up tight enough?! If you only go with an EBB for chain tensioning you might find it difficult to get the wheel out. If you're having a custom frame built, how about sliding dropouts with Allen key tensioners like Genesis do?

They're a lot cheaper than an EBB too...

I've got an EBB system on my Moots, had the bike from new for getting on for 3 years now and have had no problems whatsoever with removing the wheel (vertical dropouts with EBB) so I don't understand what djoptix is saying here? Also never suffered with creaks, just grease up once a year with copperslip and you'll be fine. :D Pretty neat system.

A mate had the slidey dropouts and the bolts/nuts seem easy to strip - as he found out :( . He now rides EBB. :)

I have EBB with vertical dropouts on my cannondale 1FG and its great.
Probably best thing is you dont adjust anything in the back. You can take wheel of and back on very easilly. No worries about disk brake settings.
you can use skewers.
The downside is weight. I think is heavier than other systems.

Other system i like are dropouts u can buy from ROHLOFF
It also has vertical dropouts. which for me crucial in terms of practicality.
Same as with EBB: tensioning and taking wheel of are separate.

Attachments

• dropouts.jpg
    dropouts.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 2,371
  • detail-uchycení.jpg
    detail-uchycení.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 2,371
Paragon sliders? I havn't any experience with EBB...do they give enough adjustment...I had heard that you could still need a half-link with them, though I am probably wrong

With EBB it depends on the offset. no need for halflink here.

here are other versions of that rohloff dropout (is it called paragon sliders?)

these have one bolt as a pivot and then another one or two other bolts for tightening.For tension, you rotate that dropout backwards.

Attachments

• xx.jpg
    xx.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 2,363
  • xx3.jpg
    xx3.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 2,363
djoptix":3vmswoq9 said:
Presumably you weren't doing them up tight enough?! If you only go with an EBB for chain tensioning you might find it difficult to get the wheel out.

I didn't understand this bit either :? - vertical dropouts on a singlespeed is the easiest system imaginable when it comes to removing or refitting a wheel.

Custom frame? - for me it would either be a Phil Wood EBB or Black Catswinging dropouts. They look better than Paragons (or similar) IMHO, and I reckon that they'll be the least trouble free of any adjustable dropout system. If I was having a custom frame it would be Black Cat I'd have building it for me. One day - for my 60th birthday maybe, if I'm a good boy :) .

I believe that the only EBB's that don't have enough throw to take up a full link/ 2 pitches are the Phil Wood Half Link EBB (which uses a smaller shell) and the Excentriker and Foward Components EBB converters for standard BB shells.
There are plenty of people (me included) who do use a half-link with a standard EBB, track ends, or sliding dropouts, in order to be able to position the wheel/BB spindle closer to where they want it to be in relation to the rest of the frame and only use the adjustment for final tension.

Personally I use a link-and-a-half and two master links. But don't get me talking about nice singlespeeds or we'll be here all day....... :oops:

Oh Andy....what have you done! I didn't know about Black Cat....rather lovely arn't they...want want want!

IMG_4691.jpg

Harryburgundy":2injubfj said:
Oh Andy....what have you done! I didn't know about Black Cat....rather lovely arn't they...want want want!

They're extremely lovely Carl, and maybe, just maybe, before I get even less able to do it justice than I am already :oops: , I'll be able to afford to get Todd to build me a fillet brazed 69er frame, based on the Hummingbird geometry (which I love) but just a bit lighter and, of course, unique .....
At my age it would be likely to be my last ever bike anyway, so it might as well be something really cool :cool: .

Back