help please.

hesdownagain

Old School Hero
hello. i'm looking to run a 10 speed set up with a double and bash on the front. my plan was to use the 22 36 tooth combo. i have the crank and arms already so i looked on CRC for prices to buy. on the 36t chain ring it says 9 speed , they don't seem to do 10 speed. does this matter!! i can't work out how the double on the front will effect the ten speed set up on the rear. any help please.

hesdownagain":3nvu2jda said:
hello. i'm looking to run a 10 speed set up with a double and bash on the front. my plan was to use the 22 36 tooth combo. i have the crank and arms already so i looked on CRC for prices to buy. on the 36t chain ring it says 9 speed , they don't seem to do 10 speed. does this matter!! i can't work out how the double on the front will effect the ten speed set up on the rear. any help please.
I think Shimano 10spd MTB chainrings only come in 24/32/42.

Sram's 10 spd stuff isn't compatible with Shimano's

Shimano's road & MTB stuff isn't compatible either

A 10spd chain is narrower than a 9spd one and Shimano do a specific MTB 10spd chain with chamfered plates

A 9spd chainring & 10spd chain may work, but not perfectly

hi andy. thanks for the reply.Mmmm i'm aware that the mtb chain is narrower and i was concerned that the teeth on the front chain ring may not fit. but i can't seem to find any reference as to the double, there must be a way of running a double on 10 speed.

rosstheboss":2vrrv8cm said:
Are you using the SLX crankset? I'm pretty sure thats 10spd compatible... don't quote me though!!!
hi, yes the chain rings will be slx as will the cassette.

hesdownagain":3dkjj7z6 said:
rosstheboss":3dkjj7z6 said:
Are you using the SLX crankset? I'm pretty sure thats 10spd compatible... don't quote me though!!!
SLX comes in both 9 & 10spd options, Dyna-Sys ones are the 10spd version

Andy B":ht5gouhw said:
hesdownagain":ht5gouhw said:
rosstheboss":ht5gouhw said:
yes but not the front double. they list the three chain ring front in the dyna but not a 22 36 front double..

hesdownagain":3ncapzir said:
Andy B":3ncapzir said:
yes but not the front double. they list the three chain ring front in the dyna but not a 22 36 front double..
Yup, Shimano only do the 10spd Dyna Sys in triple chainrings and sizes to suit I don't know if Shimano are doing 22 & 36T 10 spd chainrings I've not seen any yet

Yup, the double is 9 spd but may work with your 10spd set up, I have heard of folks trying 9spd chainrings, but no long term feedback on how well it works

The inside of the chain is the same width, so the 10s chain should fit. The width saving is in the outer plates and rivets. Occasionally you hear of stories where the chain gets jammed between the rings, but usually only on 10 speed chains in 7 speed setups.

Back