2:1 ratios

Cool..

Dunno why I struggle to get my head around ratio's and stuff...

Is there a downside to running smaller rings?

Like easy said. Bigger gears distribute the torque over more teeth. You have about half the teeth in contact on the cogs on a SS. on 22-11 the torque will be distributed over 5 teeth in the rear as opposed to 8 in 32-16.

The only advantage of running different size cogs that are the same ratio, would be if they allow you to run a magic ratio without any tensioners.

...And reduce weight slightly and increase chainring clearance when going over logs etc.

If you ran 22:11 your chain would run very close to the chainstay. You will have really bad chain slap unless you chain is very tight. Most singlespeed MTB's run 32:16 for a very good reason, it works.

Plus running even numbers is better for wear, according to sheldon

Don't think so - gears with no common factors are better, for example 46/15, 32/17. Number of chain links also comes into it. It all gets very geeky very quickly...

I used to ride 46/15 on my fixed-wheel on the road, and it was bang on IMHO. I'm going to try out 32/17 on my singlespeed MTB but it will only be for very steep stuff and because I think it's magic for the frame...

Thanks all..

Was just trawling ebay for cranks and it may be easier for me to get a trials crank than wait for the 94bcd black shiny ones I need..
And they come with 22T rings which I'd have to run with for a while..

Or maybe BMX ones.. but that's another thread :LOL:

Back