29er v regular 26" fully rigid

Tad

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I'm toying with the idea of something new, steel and fully rigid. I've only ever ridden 26" wheeled MTBs and 700c road bikes. I have received a small inheritance in my grandparents will and rather than spend it on day to day nonsense or something like a holiday that only lasts a few weeks, I would like to spend it on something that I can remeber them by fondly each time I ride it. I'm not going to be going out and buying something tomorrow, I'm just looking to get the start of some ideas at the mo.

Some constructive advice would be welcomed. I weigh next to nothing, I don't ride particularly fast, I prefer XC and flowing singletrack, I have no interest in "All Mountain" "Freeride" "Downhilling" or any of that pap. What are the pros and cons of 26" and 29" for me?

Cheers.

the only question to ask is how tall are you? 5'10" plus then 29er. under that then personally i would spend the money on doing up a bike that meens something to me. custom paint job, top end kit that kind of thing.

I'm 5'9"

Doing up a bike isn't an option. I know it probably sounds daft but I don't want it to have any memories associated with it other than that of my grandparents.

I'm thinking hub geared too, my grandfather was an engineer and he'd have been fascinated by the insides of the things.

the 29er myth about them being height related has been debunked donkeys ago. XC flowing singletrack are what they excel at :D I'd say try one but it also takes a good while to learn what they can and can't do so read as much as you can then make an informed descision. I have a singlespeed and rigid Kona* and the best thing I can say is its like singlespeed/rigid deluxe :D

*call me a nichehoor if you will but singlespeed and rigid bring out the best attributes of the bigger wheels, the roll better and ride smoother.

i just find the small framed 29ers a bit long as much as anything. 5'9" should be ok anyway.

what about a crosser?

So what can/can't they do Kaiser?

jamabikes":1etguclm said:
what about a crosser?

Nah, just not feeling the crosser vibe. I'm thinking big fat tyres.

For me the differences are quite subtle, you'll notice(compared to its 26" counterpart) that its easier to maintain speed and that small bumps will simply roll under the tyres. They also 'bridge' trail obstacles that a 26er will hook up on and you'll be able to tackle technical sections easier, again the big wheel neutralises alot that would trouble a 26er. The larger tyre carcass will give slightly better comfort and a very noticable increase in grip. The geometery has came on where you don't feel so much on the bike but more in the bike and has been refined for riders of any height and there are a few variances for ride style.

Its not all rosey though, there is a slight slowing whilst turning though chainstays are getting smaller to combat this and they are not natrual in the air, I certainly don't like flying drop offs. Again geometry is helping this if you so wish. Also part availablilty over here isn't great. Also theres much talk of acceleration beiong slow because of the big wheels, if this is something that would bother you its wise to spend well here and research it too. If you read the mtbr forums though there is a move stateside to go with big wide rims and fat tyres, bugger the weight and enjoy the ride :)

What kinda of riding do you see yourself doing with it?

You'll only know by trying a 29er mate. Beavis got one and loves it where as I don't see what's so great about them tbh. If you're up our way I'm sure he'd let you have a go on his. ;)

How about a steel space frame Jones?

I would say go ride as many candidates as you can.

Saying that, I think there are so many factors involved that it might be just as well to put the largest volume tyres you can fit on one of your current rides and see if you can live with the extra weight/rolling resistance.

If you have a reasonable amount to spend, there is no reason a 29 has to be heavier that your current rides.

Hope you find something worthy of your grandparents.

Back