Beach ride home today

Piperdave

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Work was sh1t today. Had 1, yes you read that right, :shock: 1 hour of rostered work, 1/2 hr here, and 1/2 hr nine miles away.

Decided to ride rather than take the car, as the day looked good. Did the work here in Worthing, (i am a carer), then nine miles west, straight into the 15 mph breeze. Managed to hide from it for a short while by going down Ilex Way, where i met a lovely Golden Retriever puppy. This is a double row of Ilex, with a bridleway down the middle, a suprising find in urban Worthing/Goring. http://www.worthing.gov.uk/worthing...sinworthing/parksinalphabeticalorder/ilexway/

Did the work in Rustington, then popped down to see the sea.....and the tide was out :cool:

With the wind behind me, i was straight onto the wet sand, and cruising home, tyres hissing on the wet sand, water filling my shoes. Sand gets everyware. Hardly a soul, save a couple of dogs and their owners. Soaked by the time i got back. Six miles, mostly upright, but a couple of interesting moments on some fine shingle, or rocky pools. Chased some rooks and gulls for the hell of it.

A 1st for me, never done a beach ride before. Very different types of hazards. Flat sand goes into quicksand. Closer to the sea, rippled sand shakes me about, and i wonder about getting some suspension. Pea shingle just doesn't allow progress at all. Seaweed covered rocks slip and slide, and move alarmingly in all directions. :D

Made up for the lack of work...well, a bit anyway :roll: :LOL:

Route here http://ridewithgps.com/routes/214432

Attachments

• BSO at the end 3.jpg
    BSO at the end 3.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 2,276
  • Sand 1.jpg
    Sand 1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 2,276
  • Sand doesn't stop you 2.jpg
    Sand doesn't stop you 2.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 2,276
cant beat a bit beech riding:

deserted_357.jpg

if you ride on gorleston beach youll get 50 feet and smack into a whole host of groins and shingle....its still nice there tho..

lgf...i didnt know cambridge had a beach?

Nice, I did about an hours work today too, but spent 7 hours twiddling thumbs instead!!!

We walk the dog down Ilex Way, it's about 200yds from my front door, it's lovely and incidentally the old driveway to Goring Hall when it was a house (it used to be owned by the Bowes Lyons family (the Queen Mother's family).

Ross, you can't be far from Bobcatmax then.....

What type of dog do you have?

How's the tree saga going? :?

I live pretty much in the middle between bobcatmax and Ilex Way on the Goring Road. Here's our dog Florrie, a Border Terrier Jack Russell cross....

And all's quiet on the hedge front, thanks for asking!

Attachments

• florrie.jpg
    florrie.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 2,235
Make sure you wash the bike ASAP, beach sand = salty sand! rust is not a friend

Back