Recommendation for UK-based builder of 29er frames?

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I was in the process of having a 29er frame built for me by Steve Shand, but he's had to close shop for a few months while he relocates at short notice, so the order's been cancelled :( I'm hugely disappointed.

Can any of you recommend somebody else who could offer a very similar service?

I'm after someone who is prepared to build a unique (i.e. I am dictating a lot of the design cues) steel fillet-brazed 29er frame and forks. I need someone who is prepared to listen to what I want and build accordingly, rather than supply me with something they want to build or are used to building. I'm aware not all operate this way :?

Any recommendations?

orange71":1rj2mvqv said:
I was in the process of having a 29er frame built for me by Steve Shand, but he's had to close shop for a few months while he relocates at short notice, so the order's been cancelled :( I'm hugely disappointed.

Can any of you recommend somebody else who could offer a very similar service?

I'm after someone who is prepared to build a unique (i.e. I am dictating a lot of the design cues) steel fillet-brazed 29er frame and forks. I need someone who is prepared to listen to what I want and build accordingly, rather than supply me with something they want to build or are used to building. I'm aware not all operate this way :?

Any recommendations?

If you have a good idea of what you're after I'd think about giving Lee Cooper (local to me) a go > http://customcycleframes.blogspot.com/ . I've never had a frame from him but have seen plenty of examples of his work, seems to be able to build a tidy frame. He does a lot of stuff which ends up with other peoples names on. Prices seem OK too...

As you live in Derby, I wonder if Mercian would be up for it? Mind you, they're so traditional/conservative that you'd probably have to know exactly what you wanted and specify every detail. Could be very nice though.

well I did wonder. I do know *exactly* what I want, it's just would they take that from me and listen :? Also have they ever done a 29er? Ideally I'd like someone with some experience of them.

ferrus":1fgp3hwj said:
As you live in Derby, I wonder if Mercian would be up for it? Mind you, they're so traditional/conservative that you'd probably have to know exactly what you wanted and specify every detail. Could be very nice though.
There was a Mercian on Ebay last week that was built for 130mm forks, Rohloff hub and an EBB. It even had crud catcher mounts. :shock:
I thought that was quite risque of them. ;)

There was a teenage lad in Derby who had one BITD, fully Campag Euclid equipped, it must have weighed well over 30lbs. He was trying so hard to be grateful for it as his old man had it custom made for him, but I think he just wanted a bike with gears that worked and a chance of getting airborne. :LOL:

edison

You could always give Edison cycles in Clowne a call.
Havent had one of his frames but he put my Merckx on the jig and made sure everything was aligned and faced and fitted my BB, headset and built my wheels when the Merckx came from the factory. A couple of my friends ride his frames and they are really nice.
Not sure on the 29er angle but he is upfront and works with you so he will tell you straight away whether he can or not.

Jamie

Back