Setting up Tektro 'Power Hanger'

IDB1

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Trying to get one of these set up at the back of the GT..

14032.jpg

Trouble I'm having is that the left canti-arm (looking from the back of the bike) hardly moves at all.. the right one pushes the rim over to the left to clamp it :?

I slackened things off a tad but then the lever pulls all the way to the bars..

A couple of folk have said these are a pita to set up so does anyone have any useful tips before I ditch the idea?

I take it there's no room for one of those canti bridge brackets (somebody was selling loads of them cheap in the for sale forum)?

I have one of those too.. but when bolted into place, the top is way too close to the seat tube.. and they aren't very nice to look at.. :?

I have a serviceable alternative (having previously set it all up) but think this is possibly a more suitable alternative for the longer term and aesthetically..

IDB1":2wo8zen0 said:
I have one of those too.. but when bolted into place, the top is way too close to the seat tube.. and they aren't very nice to look at.. :?
I thought it may be a bit tight, space wise - and agreed, they're not the most pleasing to look at. I used one briefly for a build, but only up to the point I could find a better alternative.
IDB1":2wo8zen0 said:
I have a serviceable alternative (having previously set it all up) but think this is possibly a more suitable alternative for the longer term and aesthetically..
I get your thinking - I've got a couple of these force-40 knock-offs, too, and when I used the canti bridge bracket thing out of desperation, I thought of using one of these tektro doo-hickeys - because, like you, they seem more of an aesthetically pleasing thing - but that's as far as I got with using it - thought.

My excuse? I was in a hurry, so did the quick / unsightly thing with the alloy bracket thing, until I got a reasonably servicable stem hanger ;-)

It's for the back of a '91 Karakoram with internal routing and canti-hangers brazed on.. the cable comes out in front of the seat tube and there's no guide to take it round..

I did have a sleeved cable from the exit hole straight to the straddle cable which was ok, and worked, but looked cobbled together.

So I thought, since I had a Tektro doohicky in the box, I'd run a short length of brake cable from t'exit hole into the Tektro and try that.

It looks more like a 'proper' setup but I think it needs some tweaking in the right areas..
Seems that one side probably needs to be pretty tight, tension-wise, moreso than the other.. but it's likely that I'm thinking about it all wrong and hoping that there's a logical way to get the thing working that is currently beyond me :?

you got pics up there ian (at work so blocks pic hosting )
will look when i get home

have a looksee in the cat scans bit in archive
93/4 gt catalog has some pics that may help , you wont need that doohickey thing

if you are doing the rocker/force 40 thing ,the pace way of setting them up is easier ,search pace rocker

scratch that ian
theres no real detail pics in the scanned catalogs there
but in the 93 one p6 theres a frame and it shows the cable guide
that you need to use .you need a lenght of cable cover ,the stuff for
top tube cables to stop them rubbing the paint
and run the cable thru this guide on the seat post ,then split your
canti run as normal

Was just getting a reply together while I searched for pace rocker. . .

'93 page 6, you sure?

Can't see owt like a hanger there :?

**edit** there's a pic on p.5 but those guides are welded on by the look of it?

There would have been a cable crosser around the seat tube, but might require a rather long straddle cable to run with cantis. The hanger would sit in front of the seat tube.

I have a cable crosser but I'm not clamping anything to the tube.. it'll just make things look cluttered :?

Back