A bit of advice for my new 29er

retroJIM

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all,

Just after a bit of advise and maybe some suggestions. In early Jan I placed an order for a Brother Cycles Big Bro Frameset with an estimated delivery of early Feb. It's now likely to be beginning of April. I understand the current issues with lead times so I'm disappointed but it's not the end of the world.

The dilemma I have is they've also changed the rear wheel spacing from 142x12 to 148x12 boost. The wheelset I have uses Hope Pro ii hubs (not EVO) and Hope tell me they can't be converted.

So I have a couple of options,

1. Get a new rear hub and the wheel rebuilt, sell the old Hope hub.
2. Get a new wheelset and sell the Hope wheels (my budget is what I'd sell the hope wheels for plus maybe £50).
3. Get one of those dodgy boost converters from eBay, no knowledge of experience of these.
4. Cancel the order and try to find a similar 29er Steel frameset with 142x12 or even 135.

I'm a bit miffed as I was really pushing my budget and didn't want to spend any more cash. Anyway any thoughts on what should I do?

Here's a couple pics of the Big Bro :cool: .

Attachments

• BigBroGn1_1024x1024.jpg
    BigBroGn1_1024x1024.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 372
  • BB20_1.jpg
    BB20_1.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 372
Re:

I'd sell the wheels you have and buy the right version, or just the rear. No reason you can't get another pair of Hope for give or take £50 as I imagine yours will still make good money.

Think I paid £250 posted for some 110/148 Hope Enduro's inc tyres from here and reckon you should be able to sell yours for around £200.

Eyup. Pretty sure I found a spare pair of used boost hope pro2 / wtb 27+ wheels in the demo cave at work the other day. Drop me a pm if you're interested. They'll be cheap.

Re:

i have just been looking on the tech docs the pro2 rear hub has a 142x12 option, so why won't the normal boost conversion kit work? the pro 2 evo conversion is only 2 different end caps and a disc mount spacer with 6 longer bolts, unless there is something i'm unaware about i can't see why it wouldn't work

pro2 hub:-

https://www.hopetech.com/_repository/1/ ... ARassy.pdf

axle part 21 is 142x12

this is the conversion kit to 148x12 for pro2 evo and pro4, but i can't see why you can't use it on the pro2, the axle i think is the same dimension at the end, so it must be a spacing issue?

https://www.rushcycles.co.uk/m50b0s472p ... ersion-Kit

annoyingly i have the conversion kit in stock at my shop but i don't have any pro2 hubs hanging around to have a look to see why it doesn't work

Re:

This is what Hope said

"We don’t have a 148mm conversion for the Pro 2 I’m afraid. You could maybe do it with separate parts but it would be quite expensive.. new axle (£17.50), freehub (£75) and conversion kit (£21) and the chain line would be 3mm out so you wouldn’t get a true Boost hub anyway."

Sounded more trouble than its worth?

Re:

but with the conversion kit you don't get a boost chainline you just make it fit the frame. i took my pro2 evo hubs from my 142x12 orange five and fitted the to my alpine 6 which is 148x12 by using their conversion kit, i then ran a set of cranks that were non boost so the chainline still worked as normal, but i could still have run boost cranks with that non boost cassette position as the 3mm chainline didn't cause an issue.

why did they suggest changing the freehub? and if you have a 142 x 12 then why change the axle? as on the pro2 evo you use the 142x12 axle with the conversion kit to make it 148?

Re: Re:

jimprince":1t0v14np said:
I hadn't even considered there were implications for the crankset :facepalm:

The crankset I bought is a Shimano Deore FC-M5100 with a 52mm chainline so it looks like I bought Boost cranks without realising it. I should really pay more attention when ordering stuff :oops:

Re:

29ers justify the existence of boost spacing. As wheel diameters increase, so too does the flexiness of the wheel. Widening the hub body, as a true boost hub does, widens the base of the triangle formed by the spokes, this making the wheel stronger. I'm definitely glad that my full suss and hardtail 29ers have boost spacing.

Re: Re:

Madmax1993":2vedfdw7 said:
29ers justify the existence of boost spacing. As wheel diameters increase, so too does the flexiness of the wheel. Widening the hub body, as a true boost hub does, widens the base of the triangle formed by the spokes, this making the wheel stronger. I'm definitely glad that my full suss and hardtail 29ers have boost spacing.

Yes makes sense, just need to track down a used Boost wheelset or rear hub.

Back