Great big Singlespeed thread!

Re: Polishing a T*rd..... or rather Trek

Winter comes and I have a yearning for a new (to me) singlespeed. Things around here get very mucky in the winter and all the geary bits are getting more and more expensive!

Had most of the "groupset" so just wanted a 29er frame.

Had been watching the Sussex Police ebay shop for a while, a few bikes cropped up including this Trek, mullet wheel setup but I suspect not for performance gains! A very sad state for a 2 year old bike, but I just wanted the frame.

Anyway...I won it...bit more than I expected as ever but still reasonable for a 29er frame.

Once bought home stripped it down and put forks, wheels and seatpost/saddle on, just to see if it fitted... it did .... hurrah.

So then to remove chainset, it would't.... the puller just pulled the threads out of the arm, so drilled down the side of the tapers...no luck.. in the end had to cut over half of the crank off... very strange.

Suspected issues with BB removal proved correct so immediately went with the hardcore solution..success.

Odd as everything else came off fine, even re used the headset.

Lots of scratches and chainsuck, so to look for some paint, what an odd colour! Wilco Lime green badly covered the chainsuck ( custom fade job ) a lot of the others are disguised by paint I had in the shed, with some black sticky back plastic on the top tube. It doesn't stand close scutiny but is OK for this winter. If it works ok will treat it to a respray next summer.

Then a set of cheap Mavic wheels cropped up locally, a fair bit lighter than the Hope/Sun wheels with the Butcher tyres ( although favourites ) So they have gone on with Vittoria Tyres, with way lighter sidewalls than I was expecting! These are fairly minimal tread compared to the Butchers but do roll well, and tbh most usage will be fireroads, cycle tracks, bridleways etc so we will see.

Have been out for one ride with the Butchers and all is fine, actually surprisingly comfy and as ever with a ss seems to encourage going the long way home..... or does me anyway.

Just been around the block with the Vittorias so far.

Tweaks to come? Will change to a narrower bb to tuck the chain line in a bit and a narrow wide chainring to replace the current deore one which makes me a bit nervous!

Stem feels a bit long, but will live with it for a few rides.

A bit of de-stickering on the rims and forks needs doing at some stage.

Very pleased with the bike, and nice to bring it back to life, but would not have been viable without the shed stache.

Nice result despite some significant challenges! The Vittorias look good -- the large volume probably helps smooth the ride of that frame!

Re:

Getting back in to this. Thinking about building a new/old bike. Here is some inspiration from previous builds.

eVioVCNl.jpg

9L9tn6ol.jpg

fnk54Dt.png

I still have these, and irregularly use the Curtis and the Azonic

Back