Frame sizing for bigger wheeled bikes

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I am contemplating buying a 27.5er frame to replace a 26er. As the wheels are bigger do I need to consider a smaller frame size or is all this taken into account?

I have a 26er frame in 19 inch, and the 27.5 frame I'm looking at is the same brand, tubeset etc, but 18 inch. Will I regret the smaller size or with the addition wheel and tyre size, will the difference be negligible?

Trying to avoid an expensive mistake.

ishaw":36839bh8 said:
I am contemplating buying a 27.5er frame to replace a 26er. As the wheels are bigger do I need to consider a smaller frame size or is all this taken into account?

I have a 26er frame in 19 inch, and the 27.5 frame I'm looking at is the same brand, tubeset etc, but 18 inch. Will I regret the smaller size or with the addition wheel and tyre size, will the difference be negligible?

Trying to avoid an expensive mistake.

Best idea would be to try a couple of sizes to see which fits you the best.

Didn't you have the same issue with 29er frames and ended up going for a larger size iirc?

Re:

Thanks. Your memory is better than mine but you may well be right. Ill measure up the dusty carbon 29er I found comfy but replaced with a ti one. Pretty sure I did size up on the ti, which does fit like a glove

A good place to start, thanks for knowing more about my bikes than I remember ;)

Re:

You were right. My ti 29er is indeed a 19 inch with a 23 something inch top tube and fits me extremely well. Now I think about it, my carbon 29er felt a little cramped even with a longer stem and is an 18 inch so 19 inch by 23 inch seems to be the magic formula for me. Also measured up a 26er that fits well and the same numbers apply.

I'm looking for a cheap ish 27.5 frame to throw some parts I already have at, so now I can move forward with this.

Thanks for jogging my memory and making me measure up what I have that fits.

Re:

I'd look more at the reach. ETT and stand over to be honest. Decent chance the newer bike will be a bit longer so expect you'd be fine. Wheels don't make much different to the fit but see if you can compare geometry a go for the size closest to what you currently like.

For reference I've had large and XL 26" + 29" along with a large 27.5". In every wheel size the large frame has always been a touch small.

Re:

Yes, tt is also 8n my magic formula. 18 inch 29er = too cramped. 19.5 inch 29er = sweet spot. Same for 26er.

Standover also a consideration of course, plenty on the smaller frames ;)

Back