Bottom bracket spacers?

dandy1

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm installing an xtr m950 crank onto the bike. I haven't found an xtr bb yet, but I've got a shimano 5500 which from what I understand is the same fitment? Octalink v1?

I've put the RH side onto the frame (it's 68mm) but the LH cup doesn't seem to want to go all the way in without forcing it.

Do I need a spacer on driveside? Non driveside? Both?

Thanks

Re:

Not so familiar with the road stuff but as they made one XTR BB to fit both 68 and 73 you will need a spacer (or two) to fit to a 68mm shell.
Never fitted a road BB to an MTB so don't know how the chainline works out with the difference in axle width.I'm sure there are plenty of members on here who have done it.There's some adjustment to be had by swapping spacers side to side.May have a 113mm M950 or M952 BB if you're after one?

Re:

Brilliant thanks. Yes did consider chain line, but if I remember the 950 bb was 116? This is a 118..so shouldn't be much difference.

Although would be interested in the 950 of you could pm me details? :smile: I think the 952 is a a v2?

Thanks

Re:

Both V1,M952 is the cartridge type,not serviceable.Will dig them out and send you some pics.But I would say the 2mm,if a problem,would be easy to space out.

Re:

Abit of m950 info here for some time back.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=175480&start=10

You could probably get it from Shimano site now, since they've put stuff up :)
Anyway, the 6500 should go in, no spacers as it 68mm road standard.

Check your tool's not hindering it, also see if it the vibration strip (in the cup) isn't the problem, if so then you need to tighten more.

M950/952 are 112.5 & 116, so 118 may or may not turn out a bit too long.
It depends where they centred it for road bikes

Re:

Thank you :smile:

I thought the LH cup was just there to support the bb.. And should screw in fairly easily? I suppose a 1 or 2mm spacer would sort that gap out.

Or just hold out for an xtr one

Re:

The xtr bb always needed one spacer as a 73mm bb, 3 if 68 (2 on one side, one on the other, i forget which way round). Maybe the road ones needed a spacer. I have used a road bb on m95x cranks before and I think i used a spacer on the drive side.

Re:

No mention of spacers, it would show in the diagram and installation if needed.
Probably just a bit tight, poor threads, etc as it hits the vibration strip.
https://si.shimano.com/#/en/SI/1DG0C

(or a version of the Shimano tool that pushes agasint the seals on installation, has a lip at he end. I remember seeing a sheet/webpage about this)

Back