Four Bar Full Suspension Bikes

Recent Whytes are four bar. Design has really come into it's own as shock technology and computer modelling has advanced. My first full sus was a 1997 GT STS 2. Really plush suspension action, but bobbed like a rowing boat in a tsunami when pedalling, even seated. My current Whyte still has the same plush feeling but pedals so much better. 1x drivetrains have also helped, as the suspension can be optimised to work for a single chain position relative to the pivots. On my STS the amount of pedal induced bob is noticeably worse in the granny compared to the middle ring.

Re:

I've had a GT LTS 3 - great bike, solid and very reliable.

GT LTS 1000ds 1998 with a RS DH shock (Shock was utter shit and an ass to replace) - Still have this frame in the loft.

Over lockdown I managed to find a broker LTS 1000ds 1999 with front and rear discs. Many hundreds of pounds later its full working inc the Fox Air Shock.

Also had a XCT Giant Team frame - I never got along with that bike. Was better built then the GT.

1999 might be up for sale - its super rare and exactly how it came out of the shop.

Another odd one to add to the list, Saracen Ariel - Haven't been able to pin down dates precisely but this approx 2008 machine is a very different bike to the present model.
Looks like a very similar design to the Carrera Banshee of similar vintage.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    622.1 KB · Views: 643
Two more to add to the list - although they look very familiar.

Giant NRS. One looks identical to the XTC Team, the other is a carbon frame (also seen in aluminium) with a revised look about it. In particular, the rear dropout area looks to be a lot simpler.

Attachments

• NRS1 Composite.JPG
    NRS1 Composite.JPG
    300.1 KB · Views: 565
  • NRS1.JPG
    NRS1.JPG
    236.1 KB · Views: 565
Does this count. Recent, but 4-bar Horst link
garlic-tictac.jpg

Another couple of Saracens have come to light, again these model names have been used on lots of very different bikes over the years at different price points. These also seem fairly rare, can't see much about them online. Havoc and Frenzy.

Attachments

• Saracen Frenzy.jpg
    Saracen Frenzy.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 460
  • Saracen Havoc.jpg
    Saracen Havoc.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 460
Thanks to 'The History Man' for today's entry, 1997 Muddy Fox Rock & Roll Team

Attachments

• Muddy Fox Rock & Roll.jpg
    Muddy Fox Rock & Roll.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 411