Knee friendly stems without the protruding bolts?

TheAntsPants

Devout Dirtbag
Any suggestions for ahead stems that have a flush back, ie that don't have the clamping bolts at the back? Most use a wedge like Syncros, but some use other designs. I prefer the clean look of these type stems. There are lots of DH stems like this, but I'm looking for something more svelte and XC. Retro or modern, I don't care. If you can give the model name as well, so I can do a search that would be awesome. Here's what I can think of:
  • Syncros (obviously)
  • Ringle
  • Thomson Elite
  • USE
  • xlite
  • some Trek and Giant branded stems have the bolts to the front
Any others?

My favourite: Bontrager made one in the mid-nineties. Two bolts on the side of the front, lovely organic shape.

1) Fred Salmon made a front clamp one.
file.php

2) Kore made a rear clamp one but smoothed out everything so it the bolts where integrated

d1d_kore_ahead_stem.jpg

3) There's the generic, used by OEMs and Rebranders, slim profile, looks quite nice, small cinch bolt setup, had rubber cover over the covers too. I have one in purple, or blue or silver, hell I can't remember.
FOUND example
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Stem ... 4698368887?
s-l600.jpg

4) Sakae Ultralight (?), with the split ibeam look (need to find picture) brutally ugly masterpiece.

5) Critical Racing
s-l1600.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
honestly I really like the 'generic stem'
there is also a similar one with side bolts, not quite as nice, they don't always have the hole at the front.
Clean and simple stems.

Re:

adroitstif":3l0w7n3s said:
My favourite: Bontrager made one in the mid-nineties. Two bolts on the side of the front, lovely organic shape.

Yep, mine too. But with the varieties and volumes churned out by Trek et al, with no distinctive name, good luck finding it on fleecebay :( I was hoping for something like this but for 31.8 bars.

Ibis did a ti stem in this style, so this design wasn't just for low end generics.

Raceface "System" was another model with another clamping method.

FluffyChicken":2tsicbbk said:
1) Fred Salmon made a front clamp one.
file.php

2) Kore made a rear clamp one but smoothed out everything so it the bolts where integrated

d1d_kore_ahead_stem.jpg

3) There's the generic, used by OEMs and Rebranders, slim profile, looks quite nice, small cinch bolt setup, had rubber cover over the covers too. I have one in purple, or blue or silver, hell I can't remember.
FOUND example
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Stem ... 4698368887?
s-l600.jpg

4) Sakae Ultralight (?), with the split ibeam look (need to find picture) brutally ugly masterpiece.

5) Critical Racing
s-l1600.jpg
I had a sakae stem in that i-beam style. Forgot how it clamped but you are right. I'm not sure you could consider it super light though iirc. Will try to find a pic. Sold it to gil_m so he may be able to grab some if you need some.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Found some pics. Seems I had a few others that fit this knee friendly description, ringle, syncros, kooka and the sakae:

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Latest posts

Back