Foam grips

Mikey08":1tzuigvv said:
Just got some ESI Chunkys too. I saw a vid where a guy fits them using a tough of washing up liquid and lots water. Is this a good alternative to Iopropyl alcohol?

It'd work but I imagine it'll take a wee while to dry. I used hand sanitizer as I've been bulk buying it anyways, but hairspray should also be fine. I once used cooking oil but that was a huge mistake :) But if you add enough you can make your cockpit smell like your local chippy.

Mikey08":1qi9kd6e said:
Nice one.

How about removing them if I want to change bars?

Screwdriver or other dull pointy tool under grip, squirt alcohol or window cleaner and twist. Repeat until loose. They're a real pain to get off.

Could also use a compressor, I guess. But I saw a guy trying to use a compressor to install esi grips and it took forever. Less than 20 sec with alcohol. So I'd still trust alcohol for removal over a compressor.

Ideally not a screwdriver unless you want to scratch you bars.

I use a chopstick or a plastic camping knife, come off pretty easy, just slide knife under grip, just the tip, lift and squirt, slide knife around bar, it will just fly round, push in a little more and repeat. When the knife is most the way through the whole grip will twist with the knife, slide all off as one. Takes less than 30 seconds to get them off.

mk one":3r45ky0c said:
Ideally not a screwdriver unless you want to scratch you bars.

I use a chopstick or a plastic camping knife, come off pretty easy, just slide knife under grip, just the tip, lift and squirt, slide knife around bar, it will just fly round, push in a little more and repeat. When the knife is most the way through the whole grip will twist with the knife, slide all off as one. Takes less than 30 seconds to get them off.

Yes, do what mk one says. All my bars are a scratched mess so I just pick whatever tool is closest. :D

Re:

I’ve a pair of grey Ritchey Superlogic foam grips going cheap. Never had a problem with them in the wet wearing gloves.

It’s also what Nino Schurter uses and is sure he races in the wet.

I used to use ESI chunkys on my rigid, they were really good but instantly became a nightmare if your hands got wet or muddy.

They're pretty easy to fit using some spray on brake cleaner or similar, clean bars with it first and then spay inside the grip and they slide straight on then stick when it evaporates.

Back