Bottom bracket all sussed out and then it turned up...

hank_marvin

Retro Newbie
Evening people,

First post and I'm after help...sorry.

Rebuilding an old mountain bike and out of course I decided to replace a few things including the bottom bracket.

It came with a;

Shimano
BB-LP27
68 XA
BC 1.37 x 24
Not printed on it but its 111mm spindle to spindle.

I purchased a;

Shimano
BB-LP27-E
68 XG
BC 1.37 x 24

Same size spindle. But the main body is about 3mm longer than the original so if i loose fit the cranks and offer it up below the hole its 3mm further out, if i do the same with the original it lines up perfectly, where did i go wrong with my research and purchasing :D ? I'm guessing the BB-LP27-E is causing me issues? I couldn't find any other with a spindle 111mm and all the other numbers lined up :(

Other kicker is the new and old BB feel exactly the same when i spin it in my hands anyway :D, was half tempted to refit original and return new and be done with it.

Any help or advice would be great.

Cheers
Hank

Re:

E= bottom bracket mount front mech, space accommodates.

Hence the non threaded bit, next to the lip.

You can, get a hollow tech 2 spacer, 2.5mm and fill the gap, effectively.

Re:

As above. The BB is essentially the same as your old one, just with a bit of space between the bb shell and cup to allow an e-type from mech to be sandwiched between them. Fill with a spacer and you should be fine.

Thanks both!

Something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283790003411 ?

Will I have to make allowances anywhere else on the chain line because of it?

And my original BB, is there basically no like for like made now?

Thanks again

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

110mm axle.

look for an MM110 stamped on the axle, near the cup, maybe. or on the shell.
I don't think 111 mm has one, may be MM111 (not common, 110 should.be fine)

oh and what cranks are they, maybe an FC-Mxxx number stamped on the back of the arm

yeah thats right, on the inner part, mm110 although looks poor like a backwards C, on the new and old, guess its a bad punch.

Cranks are Shimano FC-MC18

hank_marvin":3k1j3e2p said:
Thanks both!

Something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283790003411 ?

Will I have to make allowances anywhere else on the chain line because of it?

And my original BB, is there basically no like for like made now?

Thanks again

Yep. It will just snuggle against the flange, wop it in like normal, nice and firm.

Chain line wont be effected too adversely. Possibly a little out but nothing you cannot accommodate.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

I doubt the chain line will be affected. The cup is just designed to be slightly outboard with a spacer for an e type mech. The m952 bbs were universal fit for 68 or 73mm shells with spacers to take up the difference, one spacer less if running an e type mech. You should be fine IMHO.

Back