What are bottomless tokens?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've got some but never used them. Whilst looking at what could be involved in reducing the travel on my revs to 120mm (new air shaft btw), it also recommends adding 3 bottomless tokens as part of the travel reduction.

Reducing travel on dual air forks was simple, just add spacers to the air spring. Solo air requires a new air spring, and recommends adding 3 bottomless tokens.

What purpose do the tokens serve? Why are they needed in addition to the new/shorter air spring?

Cheers

Re:

Tokens limit the amount of air so the forks ramp up faster towards the end of travel. Allowing lower pressure to keep sensitivity without you blowing through travel too quickly.

Re:

Thanks, I thought it was something along those lines, take up space in the chamber to reduce volume of air needed, though hadn't realised what impact that would have on fork characteristics.

Re:

I had a look at my fork today, I thought it was set at 130mm travel, but turns out it is 140mm, a little too much I think for a frame designed for 120mm.

Good news is, I have a spare air shaft I the correct length for the 120mm travel reduction I want.

Bad news is, I seem to have bought a couple of seal/bottomless token kits that were supposedly for 32mm forks, but on measuring the wiper seals, they are for 35mm forks.

Does anyone know if bottomless tokens are the same size/fit for 32 and 35mm forks? I've not popped the air cap off to find out, would rather know before doing this.

Thanks

Re:

Nope. 32’s are smaller (funnily). Screw thread I think is the same, but don’t be tempted to try and squeeze the bigger ones in.
What colour did you receive? You should be looking for red ones, the 35’s are grey.

Re:

I bought 2 sets, one had 2 red, the other 2 grey.

Was reading up and the only 32mm ones I saw were black.

Back