Will an extra edit: 20mm of bounce matter?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've got my ti 29er built up and am using it at least once a week. My vision was to build it with black parts but I ended up with a set of lovely rock shox reba forks in white for bounce. I've got used to them being white, but have since bought and serviced some revs. They are immaculate and have black lowers and stanchions which match my ideal build look. Previous owner dropped the travel down from 150 to 140. I believe my frame was designed around a 120mm fork.

Will the extra 20mm of travel matter much? I'm loving the current set up, just not quite the look (vanity).if I got the revs, will it ruin the ride? I think they can go down to 120mm, I've read the manual and it seems that by swapping the air shift for a smaller one and adding 3 bottomless tokens is how it is done. I have the parts but wondering if it is a good idea? The stantions are marked with 150 and 140mm travel and sag settings, no others. The manual says it can be done, but should I? Would I be better off getting a more xc and 120mm oriented fork or do the travel change? Anyone care to venture an opinion? I believe they are 2015 versions.

Thanks

Re: Will an extra 10mm of bounce matter?

whats the actual difference in A-C (unsagged and sagged) you'll probably find it's only a few mm (significantly less than 10.....) at which point you're into the differences between running a 1.9 on the back and a 2.2 on the front.......

Re:

Install the Revs and see how/if it effects the ride. You might not notice much change with the 10mm difference.

Re:

It will be fine. My recently replaced full suss was designed for 120mm forks but at various times I used 140mm or 150mm forks and it didn't spoil the ride in any way.

Re:

I've often taken the pi55 by fitting longer forks than the frame was designed for, the only negative being that in some cases the steering became a little slower.
As before try it and see.
Also if you switch from RS to Fox the A to C is generally shorter.

Re:

Thanks. I'll check the a2c but it sounds as though I should be OK. Not sure slower steering on a 29er is a good thing though.

Re:

I had a look at my fork today, I thought it was set at 130mm travel, but turns out it is 140mm, a little too much I think for a frame designed for 120mm.

Good news is, I have a spare air shaft I the correct length for the 120mm travel reduction I want, and have bought the required bottomless tokens.

However, now wondering if this is actually a good idea and whether I should buy a fork more suited to xc and the desired travel for the frame? Or will 140mm not be too bad? The forks are immaculate in and out, as I've just stripped, serviced and rebuilt them. Aside from the travel they are spot on for my build.

Sell and buy a 120mm fork?

Drop the travel to 120mm?

Answers on a digital postcard please.

Like the above answers, the extra travel wont matter, just try it :)

mk one":dup9wd0b said:
Like the above answers, the extra travel wont matter, just try it :)
If that's true, then I might just swap the forks over on the weekend.

I need (well want) to fit a dropper post so could do both and see how it goes.

My only concern is that with the extra travel and big wheels, it will handle like a canal boat, but as someone who is far from a cycling pro, I doubt I'll notice.

Will there be any danger the extra travel and front end height could cause extra stress on the frame? I generally ride around the south downs, so nothing gnarly, I'm too old for that.

Re:

It'll be fine. Handling won't be much different, head angle a little slacker so a bit more stable (not that you'll notice) and the frame will be well within what it can handle. If you're worried just run the forks with more sag than you usually would. Do it, I bet you'll be on here after wondering what you were worried about! :D

Back