Gloves or No Gloves that is the question!

Yep, cooooold. I sweat just sat on the back garden these days :LOL: :cool:

lensmansteve":o1sqgwx8 said:
As a motorcyclist and cyclist of many years, I wear gloves every trip. And I've had a lot of spills, at all sorts of speeds, on road and trail to justify wearing them. Leave them off, literally, at your peril! They increase your ability to grip when sweaty too, that's win-win in my book.

Indeed. I had a motorbike for a short while, and had a low speed spill once. What was a non event with gloves could have hurt without, so it is gloves every time. I think it is more useful than a helmet on a bicycle ...

Re:

Always worn Spenco gel gloves since the beginning. Rarely ride without unless its a quick dash to the shops.

bikesandwatches":156z7fs0 said:
lensmansteve":156z7fs0 said:
As a motorcyclist and cyclist of many years, I wear gloves every trip. And I've had a lot of spills, at all sorts of speeds, on road and trail to justify wearing them. Leave them off, literally, at your peril! They increase your ability to grip when sweaty too, that's win-win in my book.

Indeed. I had a motorbike for a short while, and had a low speed spill once. What was a non event with gloves could have hurt without, so it is gloves every time. I think it is more useful than a helmet on a bicycle ...

Yes, I tend to agree. But I could describe 3 or 4 cycling "incidents" when wearing a helmet saved me from nasty knocks to the back of my head. I'd resent having to wear one though, especially as the evidence regarding bike helmets isn't conclusive.
I'm ancient enough to remember riding motorbikes before helmets were compulsory. I wore one though, so did my mates, as much for comfort and warmth as safety. And style too- goggles were old fashioned, we wanted tilting visors. Of course we did.

lensmansteve":1zvy8ud4 said:
Yes, I tend to agree. But I could describe 3 or 4 cycling "incidents" when wearing a helmet saved me from nasty knocks to the back of my head. I'd resent having to wear one though, especially as the evidence regarding bike helmets isn't conclusive.
I'm ancient enough to remember riding motorbikes before helmets were compulsory. I wore one though, so did my mates, as much for comfort and warmth as safety. And style too- goggles were old fashioned, we wanted tilting visors. Of course we did.

Aren't goggles somewhat popular with HD bikers nowadays? I see quite a few of those guys with visorless helmets. More comfy in the summer when it is hot, they don't go out when it rains anyway :twisted:

Personally, I have to have a visor cap while riding in the sun, and cap + helmet = meh...

It's a matter of style I think. I'm not fond of being hit in the face by flying gravel though.
Harley riders are often anxious to look cool, and don't go very fast either. Some have windscreens. They do love a nice pair of gloves though, returning to the thread. Possibly to minimise white-finger from the vibrations. Just kidding, any Harley owners out there..

Ah yes, the old nose wipe. Seem to remember having a pair of (motorbike) gloves that had chamois bits sewn on, ostensibly for wiping goggles/visor, but better for nose wipes. Had a incident with my Planet X mitts last year though, wiped my nose and there was blood everywhere- a sharp edge of Velcro had slashed me old conk. Still wearing the gloves, but wiping more carefully.

Re: Re:

widowmaker":179hpd2m said:
Gloves for me, to grip/protect and wipe your nose on :D

Argghh, bollocks!!!

My old Fox SideWinder's have finally given up - the left thumb has worn through. I only ordered some new Fox Rangers on line this morning and have just realised they don't have the terry toweling on the back of the thumb/wrist for wiping your nose. Doh.

They're going back.....

legrandefromage":308gy20j said:
Just been out. I think I maybe one of the Lizard People; my palms dont sweat.

Same here. Never had sweaty palms riding.

I only wear gloves when it feels cold.

Back