Hollowtech 2 - The Discussion

Re:

1. That's progress for you! Way to boost bottom bracket sales!

2. That's progress for you! :LOL: probably leverage, or excessive preload on the bearing.

3. I just get the cheapest Deore BB's and replace them as needed.

4. Personally I don't think it's worth the hassle, unless I was a pro racer.

If you want a chuckle at HT2 then visit #thanksshimano on Instagram... https://instagram.com/thanksshimano?igshid=185w1h8m40gw

Re: Re:

legrandefromage":2pmqwf9s said:
jimo746":2pmqwf9s said:
If you want a chuckle at HT2 then visit #thanksshimano on Instagram... https://instagram.com/thanksshimano?igshid=185w1h8m40gw

Blimey! :shock:

Maybe they should rename them Hollowwreck?
Guess they’ve found the limit of the strength to weight ratio. They always used to slag off carbon cranks as not fit for purpose.
Remind me never to buy a bike with an Ultegra chain set.

Better check my SLX cranks, seen reports of they doing similar and it’s not like I’m at racing weight.

Even the cheapest hollowtech II bottom bracket beats any square taper setup for me. I will admit that I haven't gone to external cranksets for the lifespan of the bottom brackets, but for the stiffness and ease of installation. I'd rather replace my BB more frequently than go back to square taper.

I think most BB standards since square taper have been designed purely for saving money in manufacturing and assembly.

My LBS told me they love the new standards because they're much easier to service, and they need servicing very regularly!

Re:

Re: stiffness, Track cranksets, which are arguably the toughest test of strength /stiffness are still predominantly square taper, although there are now external bearing options ftom Sram, Sugino and Rotor. Part of this is undoubtedly tradition, but also strength and reliability.

Pionir":3o5w9h9n said:
I think most BB standards since square taper have been designed purely for saving money in manufacturing and assembly.

My LBS told me they love the new standards because they're much easier to service, and they need servicing very regularly!
Same reason Aheadset became popular and took over.
there's no real headset benefit, but when manufacturers only need to make one steerer tube length for all forks (ok back then it was three sizes). and jobs a good one.
couple that with weight saving as you can use aluminium tubes with ease and you remove the cinch bolt parts.
So cheaper and then lighter.

Re: Re:

jimo746":3rfcsu05 said:
Re: stiffness, Track cranksets, which are arguably the toughest test of strength /stiffness are still predominantly square taper, although there are now external bearing options ftom Sram, Sugino and Rotor. Part of this is undoubtedly tradition, but also strength and reliability.
do they have regulations that restrict part usage, or is that some other part of that sport I'm thinking of?

I'm confused, I thought Hollowtech II was the cranks, the fact they are hollow crank arms, not anything to do with the bottom bracket? (other than they fit the axle that is attached to hollowtech crank arms...along with other 24mm cranks)

Hollowtech is the cranks (as seen in the pictures). HollowtechII is the integration of the bottom bracket onto them.

Back