First restoration project - I'm having fun!

Thanks.
It was just the cassette, too worn out to pick up the chain. I replaced it, and the indexing was then a piece of cake!

Re:

I basically finished the bike.
It still needs bar tape, but I was toying with the idea of fitting a flat bar, so I'm waiting to decide what to do on that front.

The thing is that the bike is not very nice to ride. I can't point my finger on what it is, but I don't really feel comfortable on it. If I had to guess it's the handlebar; the stem is only 100mm (or 110). but the handlebar itself is very long, and even if the frame has a ridiculously short top tube, I end up being way too stretched forward. Plus, it kinda feels unstable, maybe as a consequence of this unnatural riding position?

I have no way to predict how it would behave with a flat handlebar, so for the moment I will hibernate the project, waiting for the universe to give me a sign :mrgreen:

167cm.
I think that's 5'6 in imperial units.
But I have an unusual body shape - my limbs are not well proportioned to the torso

Re:

If you are feeling uncomfortable and are unsure about the stem length, I would suggest to ask friends or a bike shop if they can lend you a longer version. Alternatively invest a bit an buy a (very) used stem. If it fits, get a nicer one later. I did that and over time have 6 or 7 cheap stems to test around. Bought the cheapest no-name one I could find. Cost max 5GBP a piece. You can also try to flip the stem, giving you a rise instead of a drop.

Other than that, the only thing I see in your bike that could be changed is the seatpost. Yours has an offest and the seat is all the way to the front. A straight post (zero offset) would bring you more forward. You don't want your body center to be too far up front though (unless you are using aero-bars).

A flat bar will not change much. It's the same position as when you have your hands on the top part of your drop bar.

What crank length do you have? Could also be a cource of discomfort. Should be max 170mm on such a small sized bike.

The crank is 170mm.
I couldn't find an affordable 165mm.

I would tend to agree on flat bar being similar to having my hands on the top of the handlebar, but a flat bar would be considerably wider. Also, I would probably fit a muh longer stem if I was to go for a flat bar, so I would be more stretched out than when riding on the top of the drop bar.

Back