Re-spraying a frame cheaply at home...advice needed!

Re:

Thank you to everyone for all your help and information, I'll have a look at this spray.bike today and investigate further. Waiting around for a plumber (and no, that's not a euphemism :LOL: ) so it's not like I can be doing much else...

Re:

Shame you haven't still got the Cindercone with the flowers painted on, you could set that up nearby to attract the bugs away from the new paintjob :D

My advice is do the maths first.

Sand paper - far more that you think you'll need.
Primer
Paint
clear coat
masking tape
Degreaser
gloves
tack cloth
your time
Etc.

You may not save as much as you think compared to a powdercoat. Avoid cheap paint, go to a proper paint supplier, they will mix the colour you want with a proper nozzle.

And then the paint will fall off anyway.

A rattle can job will just never be as tough as proper paint, and nothing like a powdercoat. My Trek is a rattle can job, you can get amazing results, but it will take a LOT of time compared to a media blast and powdercoat.

That said, I think everyone should rattlecan a bike frame at some point in their life.

Re: Re:

TonyMerryfield":259cyzfx said:
Shame you haven't still got the Cindercone with the flowers painted on, you could set that up nearby to attract the bugs away from the new paintjob :D

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Such a good point...

My_Teenage_Self":3btre41l said:
My advice is do the maths first.

Sand paper - far more that you think you'll need.
Primer
Paint
clear coat
masking tape
Degreaser
gloves
tack cloth
your time
Etc.

You may not save as much as you think compared to a powdercoat. Avoid cheap paint, go to a proper paint supplier, they will mix the colour you want with a proper nozzle.

And then the paint will fall off anyway.

A rattle can job will just never be as tough as proper paint, and nothing like a powdercoat. My Trek is a rattle can job, you can get amazing results, but it will take a LOT of time compared to a media blast and powdercoat.

That said, I think everyone should rattlecan a bike frame at some point in their life.

This is pretty much the conclusion I came to today, when I saw the price of a can of decent paint, primer, etc, and then realised I didn't have much in the way of abrasive rubbing down stuff either... :facepalm:

Plus the BB is well and truly stuck in the frame I was going to use as it was cheap and didn't owe me much... :roll:

legrandefromage":380uxndb said:
spray it with the BB in the frame

everyone else seems to!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

BB shot, and holding an unneeded BB mounted chain guide on, too... :facepalm:

Trouble is, as it's a very modern BB in there, the tool I have for removing it has a socket handle that attaches, and there isn't the option of big washers and bolting the thing on, like there is with 'normal' square taper BB tools.... and I haven't got a bench vice. Yet.

Re:

Proper paint can get expensive. I restored a pedal car for my 3 year old was a pain in the rear and cost a fortune. I have the use of a booth (more like spray room) and did it in there using 2k direct gloss, even the cheapest paint was £37 and I used works hardener and thinners.

All I can say is aerosol is fine but I would lacquer any colour you choose this will stop the colour scratching off easy.
2k direct gloss would be ok without lacquer but will only really be a solid colour.

I had my frame powder coated its a Carrera Kraken I'm guessing it was aluminium and its lasted 7 years now fine. It does chip but it was a RAL colour so in theory I could get a touch up.

Attachments

• IMG_20200523_133752.jpg
    IMG_20200523_133752.jpg
    969.8 KB · Views: 301
Though LGF said hot, sunny day, you want a warm dry day, not a hot sunny one.
Too hot and the paint drys in the air between spray nozzle and frame.
As I found out to my cost.

Re:

Local powdercoaters charged me £30 last time I had one done. Cheaper than buying the paints and stuff but not perfect. But loads better than a home job.

Even a wet paint job from a bike painter isn’t that much if you go to local firms. I’ve had a few done by Vernon barker and they only charge £95 for a proper job

Back