Budget rebuild 2001 Rocky Mountain Slayer

eshew

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Just picked up a project to build up for a friends 13yo son. I was going a bit crazy at home with after finishing my other bike projects.

This one at some point I'm guessing was owned be some tweakers.
Some issues I'm working on:
* Marzocchi QR20 axle was stripped and fitted into a regular hub with an extra bearing race as a filler

*10 speed shifter, 9 speed derailluer & 8 speed cassette

*Mismatched brakes & the wrong adapter for the QR20 fork.

*Front wheel wasn't a 20mm axle. Already lined up a used Mavic DeeMax

I've got most replacement parts coming soon, the QR20 axle will be the biggest project as I have to fab up a spacer to fit in the 20mm axle. Although I've got some 20mm OD 15mm ID aluminum tubing coming that I think should do the trick.

On the to do list:

New Igus bushings
Full cables & housing
new cassette (9 speed)
new rear shifter
Service the forks
Service the rear shock
bearings service & true rear wheel
Try and make a 20mm QR axle that works
Swap out rotors
Find a new front brake.
Grips
Service pedals

Should keep me busy for a few weeks. Hopefully

Last night I had a chance to start making a bit of progress

Fresh proper oil for the Z1 DO. Old oil wasn't terrible but it was low. Poured in some Glden Spectro 125/150 (7.5w) stock marz oil. 65mm depth from top of threads springs removed.

Noticed some play in the bushings behind the BB. Struggled a bit to remove one of the bolts. There is a threaded bolt on the backside of that bushing. I used a water bottle cage bolt to keep the axle/insert from spinning. Apparently there is a hole drilled in it, proper way is to spin the stuck bolt/insert and place a 3mm allen key in the hole to keep it all from spinning.

I measured the bushings. Waiting to hear back from RM if they have bushings, otherwise I'll be getting some from Igus. Measured 16mm OD, 14mm ID, 17mm width. Igus flanged DU bushing.
https://www.igus.com/product/66

Attachments

• bushing2.jpg
    bushing2.jpg
    431.9 KB · Views: 280
  • bushing1.jpg
    bushing1.jpg
    608.8 KB · Views: 280
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    874 KB · Views: 280
Had a fun time making the missing piece for my QR20 axle. The metal tubing I bought was close but not 100%. Spent about 2 hours resizing the tubing to work.

Of course a few hours after finishing Marzocchi Mark let me know he has the piece I need....

Attachments

• q6.jpg
    q6.jpg
    615.2 KB · Views: 269
  • q5.jpg
    q5.jpg
    733.1 KB · Views: 269
  • q4.jpg
    q4.jpg
    498.8 KB · Views: 268
  • qr3.jpg
    qr3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 268
  • qr2.jpg
    qr2.jpg
    922.8 KB · Views: 267
  • qr1.jpg
    qr1.jpg
    618 KB · Views: 269
Hi eshew. I've a set of Z1 QR20 forks missing the axle entirely. What spec tubing did you use to make yours? Cheers!

Back