Bearing replacement Khamsin

mr-mac

Retro Guru
Hi,

I am away to replace the bearings in my campag Khamsin wheels. I have the bearings. I got NSK bearings and the fronts has a seal on outside only as per originals.

Bearings for rear were advertised as the number for a single seal but they have a seal on both sides. Now I know this is probably not a huge issue and can just use as is. However I wondered if it was possible to just remove the seal on one side? If yes, which side (if it makes a difference) and how do I remove.

Many thanks

John

Assuming it's a standard 2rs sealed bearing, yes, you can just pop the seal out. A scalpel/tweezers/small screwdriver will do it.

Re:

Front one I got single seal bearings.

It’s the larger rear that came with two but they are same 2rs style. Excellent thanks for advice.

I'd guess you'd want to keep both seals. If they came from the factory with 1 seal only & no way to inject grease I would guess it's just a way for them to reduce friction at the expense of longevity.

Since it's Campy I would guarantee that's the case

Re:

Shouldn’t effect longevity as the internal part of bearing shouldn’t allow anything in to cause any issue where there is no seal.

Anyway I pulled the inner seals first :)

Back