Advice - Headset cup remover question

Rank_21

Retro Guru
Hi everyone. Looking to buy a headset cup remover. Usually I'll use the good old screw driver method, however sometimes I'd like to avoid any damage. So would like to get the right tool.

Question- I've noticed that some companies, seem to spec their cup removers to have the ability to remove 1 to 1-1/4" cups. Whilst others such as Cyclus have one for each size. I believe it has to do with how wide the teeth are. Will getting an all round do everything be annoying in any way? I.e hard to push through in 1 inch cups, or badly grasping 1-1/4 cups (which I'll need soon for a Cannondale). If not, I'll go for a park/var/unior/ super b or whatever.

Before anyone points out the diy method (I've tried with a jig saw) using a pipe or seat tube, I unfortunately, don't have an angle grinder to do it properly.

Re:

I’ve got a universal one and it works fine.
Better still once you figure out to insert it from the bottom, making it easier to compress the teeth through the cup :facepalm:

Park Tool RT-1... works effortlessly on 1", 1-1/8" & 1-1/4"

You'll never use anything else to do the job ever again...

Rank_21":xfro0q81 said:
What universal one do you have? recommend?

Can’t remember. X tools / Ice tools maybe. Less than £20 anyway. No need for anything fancy.
Kind of tool you only buy once and wish you’d bought years ago.
Baffles me to hear of people gouging away at 2 grand carbon or Ti frames with a hammer and screwdriver, for the sake of a tool that cost the same as a pair of lock on grips.

Thanks for the replies. Ok so a universal one should work for everything. Got me wondering, the prices for the tool vary. SuperB seem to offer the same looking one as park, at half the cost. Is Park Tools still made in the US? None of the tools by them that I have, has "Made in the USA" marked on them (I know that in the states, your required by law to do this, unlike in Europe).

Rank_21":1ylra8p4 said:
Thanks for the replies. Ok so a universal one should work for everything. Got me wondering, the prices for the tool vary. SuperB seem to offer the same looking one as park, at half the cost. Is Park Tools still made in the US? None of the tools by them that I have, has "Made in the USA" marked on them (I know that in the states, your required by law to do this, unlike in Europe).

I’ve got both, and to be honest if you removed the stickers you’d be hard pressed to tell the difference

Back