Tapered forks in non tapered frame?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
So, if one has a 1 1/8 semi integrated headset and a set of tapered forks, can they be made to work together?

I'm a bit out of touch with modern standards and trying to make what I have work. Am I on a hiding to nothing, or is it possible?

You can run a tapered fork in a 1-1/8 headtube with press fit cups, not with integrated. Not sure if you can turn a semi into a normal though, probably is some adapter somewhere.

You can run a tapered fork in a 1-1/8 headtube with press fit cups
Err, only if it's a 44mm headtube, not a standard headtube designed for straight steerers only.

stevet1":19r6zeq6 said:
Err, only if it's a 44mm headtube, not a standard headtube designed for straight steerers only.

Cane Creek, and i should imagine a couple of others do now, make a bottom cup for straight 1-1/8 headtube to run a tapered fork.

EDIT; yes, designed for 1-1/8 headtubes with interal bearings, so 44mm internal like you said, and not 34mm old style.

mk one":2g7lnber said:
stevet1":2g7lnber said:

Err, yes you can! Cane Creek, and i should imagine a couple of others do now, make a bottom cup for straight 1-1/8 headtube to run a tapered fork.

Got any links? I always thought you could with a 44mm head tube (you definitely can as I have 1 In my cotic) but not a standard 1”1/8 headset as there wasn’t physically enough room for the bottom cup.

Timoth27":1xrfshtf said:
mk one":1xrfshtf said:
stevet1":1xrfshtf said:

Err, yes you can! Cane Creek, and i should imagine a couple of others do now, make a bottom cup for straight 1-1/8 headtube to run a tapered fork.

Got any links? I always thought you could with a 44mm head tube (you definitely can as I have 1 In my cotic) but not a standard 1”1/8 headset as there wasn’t physically enough room for the bottom cup.

Yes, your right, my bad, 1-1/8 headtubes with a 44mm internal.

Though i have read of fitting one to a older headtube which uses a spacer and lowers the steerer, that was a Cane Creek also :? will have a look for that as cant remember the part number.

Re:

Thanks all. I may have a 44 hope cup I can try with, though that's earmarked for another build. Actually it's an internal one for 1 1/8 so wont work.

Back